Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iPhone Emergency Override permanent?

Hi everyone,

Recently I had an accident with my iPhone XR and it fell into water. I got the “liquid detected” notification when I tried to charge my phone, and left it to dry but I eventually had to use the emergency override to charge it up. Is the emergency override permanent once enabled? I plugged my phone in to charge several hours later with no “liquid detected” notification. I’m not sure whether that means that the phone is dry and functioning normally, or if the override is blocking the notification.

iPhone XR

Posted on Dec 13, 2021 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 4:33 AM

I know of phones where water only got into the lightning port and gave the warning, and dried out without further trouble.

There is also a chance the damage is inside and permanent.

If you take out the SIM tray you can look for a red marker which will indicate the phone is beyond repair, or you can take it for checking.

If you want to carry on using it I recommend even more strongly than usually to back up very regularly, or if you normally plug the phone in at night all night to charge as recommended then turn on iCloud backup and buy at least 50GB iCloud storage so it auto backs up at night.

Reason? it could die at any time.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 4:33 AM in response to evanfromtauranga

I know of phones where water only got into the lightning port and gave the warning, and dried out without further trouble.

There is also a chance the damage is inside and permanent.

If you take out the SIM tray you can look for a red marker which will indicate the phone is beyond repair, or you can take it for checking.

If you want to carry on using it I recommend even more strongly than usually to back up very regularly, or if you normally plug the phone in at night all night to charge as recommended then turn on iCloud backup and buy at least 50GB iCloud storage so it auto backs up at night.

Reason? it could die at any time.

Is iPhone Emergency Override permanent?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.