Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad home button getting hot when locked

Hi - I have been using my iPad (5th Gen) for the last 4 years and it has the latest OS (v15.1). Couple of days suddenly when I unlocked the iPad it displayed a message "Unable to activate touch id for this iPad". Since then the home button is getting unusually hot when the iPad is in a locked state (even when it is not charging). The temperature goes back to normal when I start using it. Touch id is not working and I am not able to register any new fingerprint as well (shows a message it is unable register any new print). I have tried factory reset but it did not help. Does anyone have any idea what maybe going wrong here? Thanks - Pbasuray

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 5:49 AM

If the problem remains unresolved, you need to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 14, 2021 5:49 AM in response to Pbasuray

If the problem remains unresolved, you need to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Dec 14, 2021 4:06 AM in response to Pbasuray

The next suggestion would be to ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup - and then to restore the iPad to Factory Settings. This will completely reset the iPad - and install a fresh copy of the most recent version of iOS/iPadOS supported by your iPad.

If all is well, you can then restore your data from your iCloud/iTunes backup.

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a PC (with iTunes installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS).

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Use of a PC or Mac computer is unavoidable. If you don’t have access to a suitable computer of your own, that of a helpful friend or family member will suffice. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist.

Dec 14, 2021 3:44 AM in response to Pbasuray

As described, something is causing a process to hang - and the tiny Processor in the TouchID reader to overheat. A forced-restart of your iPad may resolve the problem:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On other iPad models: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

iPad home button getting hot when locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.