Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 7 scratches

Hello,

Is the new watch not meant to scratch?? Very disappointed with this.

This was one of the reasons I purchased

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 7, watchOS 8

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2022 9:10 AM

Mine too…. I put my hand in my jeans pocket and it scratched so easily. I bought the watch because of the marketing apple did on the resistance of the watch and honestly I feel the 600$ CAD was a rip off. I got tricked by the marketing. I know you’ll say oh you should have bought an extra screen protector but at the same time if apple says the resistance was upgraded I feel this should happen after a week of casual use and maybe the screen protector should be on the watch already

40 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2022 9:10 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Mine too…. I put my hand in my jeans pocket and it scratched so easily. I bought the watch because of the marketing apple did on the resistance of the watch and honestly I feel the 600$ CAD was a rip off. I got tricked by the marketing. I know you’ll say oh you should have bought an extra screen protector but at the same time if apple says the resistance was upgraded I feel this should happen after a week of casual use and maybe the screen protector should be on the watch already

Feb 3, 2022 5:47 AM in response to Nicolafrost18

My new AW7, now just over 3 months old, has 6 sizable scratches on the face. I'm exceeding careful, and have not, to my knowledge, done anything that would cause them. My husband has an AW6 and is not at all careful, yet there are no visible scratches anywhere on the glass face of his much older AW. Clearly, the glass used for the AW7 is not nearly as scratch resistant as in previous AW models. A quick Internet check will show scores of complaints regarding scratches on the front glass in this newest model - hardly the "Most durable Apple Watch ever built"! Perhaps the glass is more crack resistant as Apple claims, but it's clearly MORE scratch prone - yet we are led to believe otherwise. I fully understand glass can scratch, but putting on/taking off your clothes (or similar daily activities) should not easily scratch it. This is a watch - meant to be worn - if normal activities scratch the glass then the glass should be replaced with something much more durable. I'm also aware you can purchase a bumper or plastic cover that protects the watch but those items are clunky, cheap-looking, and inelegant - definitely NOT the look I'm going for! My trust in Apple has eroded...

Dec 14, 2021 3:49 PM in response to Nicolafrost18

Glass can be scratched. The Aluminum Apple Watch comes with glass which is harder to shatter, but that doesn't mean it can't be scratched as you've now learned. Apple won't cover the scratch under warranty as that is cosmetic damage. You could have purchased the Stainless or Titanium Apple Watch, which is more expensive, but they have Sapphire Glass, which is very difficult to scratch. There's a reason the Stainless and Titanium watches cost more.

To avoid future scratches, you can buy a screen protector for your Apple Watch. Best Buy sells them. Amazon has loads of options as well. They're inexpensive and fully protect the screen on your watch.

Feb 6, 2022 5:56 PM in response to Kerph

The glass is harder to crack but the trade off is scratches because they are tired of replacing them. It costs them more money lol

The New ION X has a MOH of 5.5 instead of the previous 6 MOH hardness rating.

it’s another way of apple saying buy the expensive ones. But even that’s not 100% pure sapphire as it has a lot of contaminates of Carbon in the crystal. The 7 SS/Ti versions have a hardness of 6.5

Jul 5, 2022 11:11 AM in response to Nicolafrost18

Same here. Just got my AW7 maybe a month ago and today I noticed a pretty deep gouge scratch, right in the middle. This is my third AW and never scratched the first 2. If it’s not on my wrist (and I’m mostly at home) it’s on the charger. How a scratch that looks like THIS is possible is beyond me. I’m not happy with this Apple purchase (I have/had MANY Apple products) and it’s the first time ever.

Aug 19, 2022 3:54 AM in response to Nicolafrost18

I’m so disappointed. I had an Apple Watch 3 for almost 4 years and sold it to upgrade to a new Apple Watch 7. My previous AW3 had no scratches AT ALL, and let me tell you that I did hit it a few times during those years of daily use. It was in mint condition. I’ve been wearing my new AW7 since a couple of months and have a huge scratch already. Seriously Apple 🙄

Feb 3, 2022 12:44 PM in response to lizabeth277

I went to the Apple Store and said the exact arguments you said … I have the apple care + so I was covered for accidental damage but they kicked me out of the Apple Store because they couldn’t repair or replace because scratches and because of COVID I could stay in to seek additional support. The scratches are not covered because they say it’s only for the look and the watch still works.

basically if you have the apple care + stop being careful and use it at its fully and if you break it . You can go ahead and change it for a replacement

Feb 22, 2022 3:20 AM in response to Nicolafrost18

Got the exact same problem! My 3 months old apple watch 7 has scratches all over the screen and it's even chipped. I know they can't repair it with warranty, but i bought it with the expectation that it won't damage so fast because of all the advertising apple has done. But although the warranty doesn't cover it, i know theres a law called consumer law which gives me the right of free reparation because i was fallacy informed about the quality of the watch. But the apple worker rudely tried to tell me that it's normal for a €550 watch to get damaged so fast, and didn't help me at all. I'm really disappointed in the service, i'm a true Apple fan, got all the products, never had problems with them till now. I don't think i'll ever buy through Apple again!

Feb 22, 2022 5:34 AM in response to yous-b

If you have the AppleCare + you can request a repair or échange if the watch is damaged to the point there is a crack instead of a scratch because for apple a screen scratch is not a real damage. So if you have this coverage you can use your watch during sports and if one day you crack it , they will apply the coverage

Feb 22, 2022 6:08 AM in response to yous-b

Same exact issue as you my friend. I went to an Apple Store and spoke with a manager from customer service in the phone . The manager told me that he knows it doesn’t make sense and same thing happened to him as a customer and an employee. So if you have the coverage , apple wants to to make sure the watch is dead and then go ahead and change it . The real problem is that it was advertised as more solid and I returned my watch to Costco because I got a scratch after two weeks. But I’m shy to return to Costco again with a second watch with a bigger scratch …. The annoying thing is that I didn’t even do something risky for the watch it might have scratch from regular actions in a day, like putting my hand in my pocket with my iPhone or keys in it

Feb 22, 2022 6:14 AM in response to yadjel

The quality of this apple watch is just WACK. The quality of the apple watch 6 is wayy better, if i knew that earlier i would've gone with that one since there aren't other changes to it. But if i were you i'd go back to Costco again and exchange it with the 6 or maybe the 8 in the future, don't just leave it like that cause you paid money for it which you worked for!

Apple Watch 7 scratches

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.