Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

facetime external usb mic issue with Mac OS 12.1

Good morning,

Since I've update to Mac OS 12.1, my external USB Shure MV7 isn't anymore displaying in FaceTime mic menu app. Though it does with other apps, FCPX, Ocean audio and even the Sound system prefs !

It is a FaceTime issue, seems any USB external devices isn't working.

It is very annoying as I use FaceTime for work and I need excellent quality.

Anyone has this issue ?

Thank you !!!

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 10:37 PM

Similar questions

41 replies

Dec 15, 2021 4:54 PM in response to roland1970

Greetings, roland1970!

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! From your post, it sounds like you are running into issues with using an external microphone when you Use FaceTime on Mac. We are glad that you posted in the Apple Support Communities. We will do all we can to help you locate the answers you need.

Check out this guide with steps on how to choose which microphone you use for a FaceTime call: Choose a camera or microphone for FaceTime calls on Mac. If you have set your preferences in the past, you can always edit your microphone settings for FaceTime. You can check out the steps here: Change audio options for FaceTime calls on Mac.

We hope this information helps you out.

Cheers!

Dec 17, 2021 1:21 AM in response to Eugene Bort

here is a post from Marco from another thread that could help

Dec 17, 2021 9:26 AM in response to torsten109a

I have the same problem with an external audio device acting as a microphone input.

As a workaround, try to Audio MIDI Setup app (found in Applications/Utilities) and Create an Aggregate Device (there's a + sign on the bottom-left). In the new Aggregate Device check your Logitech microphone device in the Use column.

Dec 17, 2021 9:40 AM in response to roland1970

I have a ticket with Shure about the issue. They suggested a bunch of useless "solutions" like "set it as a default and use system settings in FaceTime". The latest suggestion they wanted me to try is this:

Please try the following:

1. Select input and output devices other than the MV7 in the System Preferences > Sound settings
  2. Launch Facetime and see if the MV7 is now selectable
  3. If not, close Facetime and then reselect the MV7 as input/out in the System Preferences > Sound settings
  4. Relaunch Facetime and attempt to use it with "Use System Setting" selected

I don't think it is doing anything, but who knows, give it a try?

Jan 29, 2022 9:47 PM in response to roland1970

Hello roland1970,

I have the same issue with everyone else here regarding FT not recognizing several USB mics. I have 2 USB mics; Rode NT and Shure MV5. The Rode NT is recognized by FT (Microphone and Output); however, FT only recognized the Shure MV5 as Output.

The work around that works for me, so far, is this: In the sound system setting, I selected Shure MV5 as Input and Output (headphones plugged into the USB mic itself). Then on FT, I selected to Use System Setting for Microphone and Output. I tested it on numerous calls (video and audio) and IT WORKS!

I am uncertain as to why, after the macOS Monterey updates, my USB mic doesn't work as it should, and it is a PITA!

My system is:

• Mac Mini M1
  • Apple Thunderbolt Monitor with HD camera
  • Logitech Brio Magnetic
  • Shure MV5
  • Rode NT
  • Sound Blaster XG6
  • Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohms
  • OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock

I hope this helps.

Dec 15, 2021 6:36 PM in response to roland1970

I'm having the exact same issues with FaceTime and two separate external USB mic (Shure MV5 and a Rode NT-USB Mini). Neither will work when set as the default input in Sound. I've got the exact same problems on my wife's M1 (same as mine) that also updated to 12.1 at the same time I did. In FaceTime's Video dropdown menu, none of my external mics show up under the Microphone section (but they do show up in the Output section...go figure!!). I'm also unable to receive incoming calls on my M1 (maybe related). This 12.1 update has had so many issues for me, I'm considering downgrading until Apple puts out a more stable release. I have spent hours on the phone with Apple tier 2 support with no resolution yet.

Dec 17, 2021 8:28 AM in response to roland1970

I tried the Audio Midi Setup workaround and it didn't work for me. I also restarted the coreaudiod daemon in Activity Monitor to see if it could flush out the issue. That didn't work either The only things that kinda works is to keep the Sound setting window open on your desktop. When receiving a call, quickly switch between your default input (external usb mic) with another input on the list (MacBook internal mic for instance) and back to your default USB mic. This will activate the mic and the caller will be able to hear you (you have to work quickly otherwise the caller will likely terminate the call). Seems like this input switching will hold for all future calls but I can't be sure.

I also created a separate, external 10.0.2 startup disk on my external SDD (I didn't have a recent Time Machine backup). I installed all my apps there (essentially duplicating my 11.1 startup disk. Everything works fine on the 10.0.2 disk proving that this is a 11.1 problem.

Spent considerable time on phone with an Apple senior technical adviser last night. He suggested I get in touch with USB mic manufacturer as the error might be on their end. Told him I had contacted both Shure and Rode and both said neither mic has any add-on drivers and should work like any other USB device. He then checked notes from Apple engineering and there are numerous references to external USB devices not working with 11.1. He took extensive notes of my issues. He also sent me a utility that allows me to take narrated videos and photos of my screen workflow and send to Apple engineers which I am doing right now. He thinks the engineers might be aware of the issue and, if so, they will alert all senior advisers with a technical update and issue a hot patch soonish.

In summary, the external USB mics from several manufacturers are recognized by the Sound setting (input signals are showing). Several apps are able to receive sound inputs from the mics (Voice Memos, Quicktime Player, etc.). However, neither FaceTime nor incoming phone calls recognize the connected USB mics by default. They can be forced to recognize the mics by doing the switch I recommended above in the Sound setting. This is not a lasting workaround however.

Hope that helps. Please call Apple and report the issue. Tier 1 support will not likely be able to help. Request to escalate the issue. If enough users do that, Apple will take it seriously.

Dec 17, 2021 9:14 AM in response to awillimd

Thanks for your detailed answer. I've been working around the issue too all day. Switching drive to Mac OS 12.01 in order to have FaceTime working is a pain. The Midi utility shows my MV7 mic on FaceTime, but does nothing. I've contacted apple too that told me it was a mic issue and not a Mac OS one rejecting the fault on Shure and Zoom !. When I told them, that on FCPX and other apple programs it works the tech didn't know what to answer, and mostly when I told him it works on 12.01 for FaceTime. Anyway. Let's wait and see, for now I use Skype and Signal with my clients as the sound from my Logitech cam bad. These programs works fine with the MV7 and Zoom.

Dec 17, 2021 9:47 AM in response to Eugene Bort

Hi Eugene, I've made a try and usually didn't work, but I just had a FT call with my son, and the mic was working using the 'system setting' mic (and choosing the MV7 as system mic). On a previous call, it didn't work. So it's very annoying and don't know why all of a sudden it works, and sometimes doesn't. But in any cas, the mic never appears on FT menu.

Thanks for your feedback

Jan 10, 2022 2:51 PM in response to roland1970

Same issue here. I have multiple USB microphone inputs that are usable at the MacOS level and application level on all apps except Facetime. I actually work for the manufacturer (Biamp) of these mics and input devices. They act like any other USB input device and we have not recently updated the firmware on these. It seems that Facetime as a whole is broken when using any external devices for audio and video in 12.1. Everything is sluggish and passing audio is a crapshoot. Please fix, Apple!

Jan 26, 2022 3:37 PM in response to haiken3

12.2 released today didn't fix the issue, at least for me. However, I have found a workaround allowing any of the "problematic" USB microphones and interfaces to be detected in FaceTime and it actually works for both incoming and outcoming calls. I have used https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/ and created a virtual interface with that USB mic as an input. Unfortunately, this solution is not cheap (the app is $99). So far tried with MV7 and Motu M2 - worked with both.

facetime external usb mic issue with Mac OS 12.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.