Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A required firmware update could not be installed. Compatible internal storage is required in order to update.

I received this error when trying to install Monterey update on my MacBook Pro.

“A required firmware update could not be installed. Compatible internal storage is required in order to update.”

Any recommendations to remedy?

Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 14, 2021 11:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 1:21 AM

There is a previous discussion that say Monterey will run if Monterey is installed on a disk using another computer that is running Monterey. You should be able to do that via Target Disk Mode on the trashcan and connecting via FireWire.

3 replies

Dec 15, 2021 7:11 PM in response to donette241

You need an Apple disk installed to upgrade to Monterey since the upgrade includes an update to the Mac's firmware. That update looks for an Apple disk and write to the disk to do the firmware update. The install will terminate or freeze if no Apple disk.

Thus, to update you need to reinstall an Apple disk

[Edited by Moderator]

Dec 17, 2021 4:52 PM in response to lllaass

We have an third party SSD in this Mac Pro round cylinder. Can the firmware be installed alone by itself? Can we connect an external mac drive? A suggestion was to boot from an other Mac with Fire-wire cable in Target Disk Mode. The installer allows to chose what hard drive Big Sur should install onto. Hold Shift to Safe Mode boot, was an other option.

Update: I am now informed that the original Apple drive was reinstalled and Big Sur did install. Firmware installed. Third party SSD Put back in. Big Sur working. I hope Pro Tools recording is now stable.

A required firmware update could not be installed. Compatible internal storage is required in order to update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.