Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display won't come on and external drives won't show with Mac Pro

One of my displays isn't coming on. I'm supposed to have two. Also, the mouse and keyboard wouldn't come on, until I restarted. I am using a KVM. Then Xcode wouldn't run a project. Then one of my external drives doesn't show in Finder. Then the other external drive would disappear from Finder and then reappear.

Is there something going out in my hardware. It's a new Mac Pro. I'm using the macOS Monterey version 12.0.1.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Pro, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 10:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 10:58 AM

RE: displays:

to get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences (from another display)

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

If you use a KVM, you may cut off the display from the Mac, and then it can not answer, so it will stay dark.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2021 10:58 AM in response to madirmur59

RE: displays:

to get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences (from another display)

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

If you use a KVM, you may cut off the display from the Mac, and then it can not answer, so it will stay dark.

Dec 15, 2021 5:34 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

What I was saying in my last comment was that when I hold the Option button, the Detect Displays button doesn't appear like it's supposed to. The Help section that comes with the macOS says in the Help section for Display preferences that the Night shift button would change into the Detect Displays button when I hold down the Option button.

Display won't come on and external drives won't show with Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.