Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing Old miniDV Tapes Onto iMac Using iMovie

I have an old Sony DSR-20 professional DVCAM/MiniDV deck with low hours on it that I want to use to import content from tapes into my Late 2015 iMac that is running macOS v10.15 Catalina and iMovie v10.2.5.

The external drive that I plan on saving the media to will be connected via USB 3 or Thunderbolt 2. The deck, of course, will be connected via the four-pin "DV" jack on the back of the tape deck, which is a FireWire port, through a FW to Thunderbolt adapter and then a Thunderbolt cable into the Thunderbolt 2 port on my iMac.

The problem I have run into up until this point (previously on my MacBook Pro) was that the Import Capture appears to go smoothly until the end, then there is no prompt to save a file and no confirmation that it is successful.

When I check in the Finder at the designated destination that I had chosen in iMovie, no file has been created there.

WHAT STEP AM I MISSING? It seems like a waste of money to buy a dedicated importing program like LifeFlix DV Importer when I should be able to do this in iMovie. I have a feeling there is something simple that I am missing to save or create the file resulting from the import.

Thanks in advance for your advice !

Posted on Dec 15, 2021 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 11:04 AM

Sometimes importing MiniDV tape into iMovie 10 can be hit or miss. Most of the time the issues relate to the cables or adapters. Or possibly you have insufficient disc space on the destination drive.

Try importing into QuickTimePLayer rather than directly into iMovie. That often works to cure this type of issue. The resulting import will be one long clip without scene breaks. You can then drag the long clip into iMovie and parse it as necessary.

Another way is to use the Image Capture app on your Mac to import to your Mac's hard drive or external drive.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2021 11:04 AM in response to michaeltag

Sometimes importing MiniDV tape into iMovie 10 can be hit or miss. Most of the time the issues relate to the cables or adapters. Or possibly you have insufficient disc space on the destination drive.

Try importing into QuickTimePLayer rather than directly into iMovie. That often works to cure this type of issue. The resulting import will be one long clip without scene breaks. You can then drag the long clip into iMovie and parse it as necessary.

Another way is to use the Image Capture app on your Mac to import to your Mac's hard drive or external drive.

-- Rich

Importing Old miniDV Tapes Onto iMac Using iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.