Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to charge my new Apple AirPods Pro?

Is there a way to achieve that using existing hardware? If not, I'll just return them all. Thank you!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 7:40 AM

The charging cable is the same as previous AirPods. Its a Lightning to USB-C cable same type that comes with iPhones.

If you have any iPhone for recent model of iPhone you have a charger that can work with the AirPods cable.

Otherwise, the case is Qi compatible and can be charged with any Qi wireless charger.

If you have a lightning to USB-A cable from an older iPhone, or original AirPods you can use that to charge the new ones.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2021 7:40 AM in response to uphaar

The charging cable is the same as previous AirPods. Its a Lightning to USB-C cable same type that comes with iPhones.

If you have any iPhone for recent model of iPhone you have a charger that can work with the AirPods cable.

Otherwise, the case is Qi compatible and can be charged with any Qi wireless charger.

If you have a lightning to USB-A cable from an older iPhone, or original AirPods you can use that to charge the new ones.

Dec 16, 2021 8:05 AM in response to Phil0124

I have iPhone XS and iPhone 11 but none of them are USB-C compatible. I don't want to use an old charger for something I bought brand new. Apple had crossed all lines of greediness probably that you cannot change a product you just purchased without paying extra. It's like buying a plane ticket but oops sorry, you need to pay for the seat. I'm going to return them all and keep life simple.

Dec 16, 2021 8:17 AM in response to uphaar

But you can charge a product without paying extra. You are just saying you don't want to use the thing you already have that can charge it and will work fine.

If you don't want to use the one you have, then you are the one that is making you pay extra to get one that works with the new cable.

Apple acknowledges you can use an older charger to charge the device. There is no need to include a new one if the older one still works perfectly. It's called reducing the footprint. There's nothing wrong with using older chargers. It helps the environment as there is less unused trash out there.

Dec 16, 2021 9:50 AM in response to uphaar

> I have iPhone XS and iPhone 11 but none of them are USB-C compatible

You're looking at the wrong end of the cable.

Your iPhone XS, your iPhone 11 and your AirPods Pro all use Lightning connectors for charging. The EXACT same cable and charger you use for your phones can be used to charge your AirPod Pros.

Apple do include a USB-C to Lightning cable in the box, and you can use this with any USB3 PD-capable device (any USB-C power adapter, any recent Mac with USB-C ports, etc.), but you don't have to.

The short version is that you already have what you need to charge them, so why do you need Apple to bundle another charger in the box?

Dec 16, 2021 11:49 AM in response to Camelot

The problem is that it’s a half baked supply. I don’t have a connecting adapter to use the cable provided in the box for charging. That means either I have to depend on accessories from items purchases earlier (some work, some don’t) or buy more supple to keep new purchases running. I cannot use AirPods/product as provided by apple out of box/using accessories provided in the box. Seems like Apple cannot understand this simple thing and would like to capitalize on that.

Dec 16, 2021 4:29 PM in response to uphaar

I would agree with you IF the AirPod Pros were a standalone device. They are not. They are almost completely useless without being paired to some other device - whether that device is a phone, a laptop, desktop, etc.

Since they require some other device in order to function, and since whatever you use to charge and/or power that device can be used to charge your AirPods, it stands to reason that you already have a suitable power source, and likely don’t need another wall wart clogging up your power outlets.

The alternative is that Apple raise the MSRP of the AirPods by $10 and including a charger in the box… that 95% of users won’t need to use.

Are you seriously saying you don’t have anything in your house that will charge your AirPods? No USB-A -> Lightning cable? No USB-C charger? Or USB-C ports on your Mac?

if so, yep, by all means return the AirPods.

Dec 16, 2021 4:54 PM in response to Camelot

We can always argue on prospectus for a century and not end up with an agreement.

Unfortunately, It’s indeed true for my use case and maybe not right product for working professionals working with windows machine. My HP laptop does not have such a port and the wireless charger am using from belkin is in stand configuration that can charge my iPhone just fine but not the pods.

I don’t have working wire USB-A to lightning but do have adapter siting.

I’ll be returning. It’s just not for me. No offense!

How to charge my new Apple AirPods Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.