Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change bluetooth device name

My new 2021 MBP Pro 14" is running latest Monterey. I just discovered I cannot change the name of a bluetooth device. I own three AudioEngine B2 speakers so its critical to change the name. I can enter the new name but MacOS does not save it. Is this a known bug?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 10:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 10:38 AM

To change name you open Bluetooth preferences and right click by the name of the device you want to change and select Change Name. Type in new Name and click on rename. I just did it and it retained the name I gave it even after disconnecting and reconnecting it. The device has to be connected to rename it.

I can't show in screenshot since to take screenshot of portion of screen I have to use the cursor.

For original poster:

Try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches. Then change name and see if change is retained

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2021 10:38 AM in response to EarthBased

To change name you open Bluetooth preferences and right click by the name of the device you want to change and select Change Name. Type in new Name and click on rename. I just did it and it retained the name I gave it even after disconnecting and reconnecting it. The device has to be connected to rename it.

I can't show in screenshot since to take screenshot of portion of screen I have to use the cursor.

For original poster:

Try booting to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches. Then change name and see if change is retained

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Cannot change bluetooth device name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.