📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS 12.1 Update: Safari 15.2 external microphone

On two Macs we use an external camera and mic (Logitech MeetUp) for videoconerencing via browser. Since the mentioned update the mic will not be recognized - but only in Safari. It works within the system configuration, in other apps, in other browsers, but not in safari. The issue is independend from the website, we have it with Jitsi, BBB and so on... The camera on the same usb-cable works fine.

Thx for your help

Posted on Dec 16, 2021 11:18 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 12:26 AM

I have the same problem with an external audio device acting as a microphone input.

As a workaround, try to Audio MIDI Setup app (found in Applications/Utilities) and Create an Aggregate Device (there's a + sign on the bottom-left). In the new Aggregate Device check your Logitech microphone device in the Use column.

In Safari you should now see a new audio input named Aggregate Device. It should work with your conference websites.

20 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 17, 2021 12:26 AM in response to torsten109a

I have the same problem with an external audio device acting as a microphone input.

As a workaround, try to Audio MIDI Setup app (found in Applications/Utilities) and Create an Aggregate Device (there's a + sign on the bottom-left). In the new Aggregate Device check your Logitech microphone device in the Use column.

In Safari you should now see a new audio input named Aggregate Device. It should work with your conference websites.

Dec 17, 2021 11:32 AM in response to Brian Hill4

If you open FaceTime, the mv7 won't show up in the mic list, choose system mic, then open Sound panel in Mac OS prefs, and toggle in between one different mic then to the desire one, then it works but it is only while the call began. If you end up a call you will have to do again the same. At least I could use my mv7 with FaceTime, though it's boring doing this all the time.

Dec 19, 2021 8:57 AM in response to torsten109a

Sorry to hear that it’s not working for you. In my case (a self hosted chat/audio/video messaging web service) it’s at least recognizing the microphone and is working.

Anyway, as said, it’s a workaround. I see many users reporting similar issues – some of them even outside Safari (sort of a macOS-wide issue).

Hope Apple will fix it soon.

Jan 18, 2022 9:35 PM in response to torsten109a

I have the same issue with my focusrite Scarlett 18i20. Microphone worked perfectly until I upgrade to from Big Sur MacOS 11.6.2 to MacOS 12.1. Safari seems to think I have no microphone. Chrome, Logic Pro X and other apps all work as expected except for Safari.

Interestingly, I connected an old USB microphone and worked fine but remained the default input in Safari regardless of what was selected in Sound. For some reason Safari just can't see the USB sound interface after upgrading.

I thought it was a bad upgrade so I tested doing a clean install and worked fine, but restoring back to Big Sur and upgrading again... same result.

Jan 19, 2022 5:52 PM in response to torsten109a

Same issue. Upgrading to 12.1 Safari no longer sees any input from My Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, but works perfectly in any other app or browser.

The only way I've found to get Safari working with my audio device is to restore back to Big Sur macOS 11.6.2 or do a clean install of macOS Monterey 12.1. However, I've found from some testing it does work with my old USB microphone. Seems selective. Strange.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 20, 2022 10:34 AM in response to phonic4k

I am experiencing the same issue with an external microphone (specifically the USB microphone built into the Apple Thunderbolt Display). This audio device "Display Audio" does not even appear as a microphone option in the list of microphones for Safari only. Other microphones, such as the MacBook Pro built-in mic, do work in Safari. The aggregate device trick described above does allow the aggregate microphone to appear as a selectable device in Safari web-sites such as Google Meet, but that aggregate device also doesn't work, exactly like the underlying Display Audio device — so the workaround doesn't actually work at all. I see this behavior in several apps that use the microphone in Safari: Google Meet but also several online mic test sites ... (http://onlinemictest.com and also https://mictests.com)

Mar 1, 2022 1:38 PM in response to lucky13820

Same issue for me. This happens with external USB mic, Blue Yeti Pro, as well as my Bose NC 700 headphones. Does not work via Safari nor FaceTime.

I spent time earlier today on Apple chat support, as well as a phone call with advanced support and they are brushing this off as an issue with the hardware compatibility and pushing me to work with Blue Mics / Logitech and Bose. People having this same issue, open more tickets directly with Apple support to get some attention to this. It does appear to be an issue with MacOS Monterey.

MacBookPro(17,1) - 2020 M1

MacOS Monterey 12.2.1

Blue Yeti Pro & Bose NC 700

Mar 8, 2022 6:15 PM in response to torsten109a

Hello -

I have a 2020 Intel MacBook Pro running OS Monterey 12.2.1. I'm trying to buy a podcasting mic - a Shure MV7 - and was trying to determine whether it would work with Monterey 12.2.1. Shure says that the MV7 works with Mac OS 10.13 - 10.15 but doesn't say anything about later versions of the Mac OS. I've read some of the posts of people on this thread but I don't have the specific use case that you guys do. It looks like Brian Hill4 and roland1970 are both working with a Shure MV7. So, will a Shure MV7 work with Monterey? I'm just going to be recording audio files and uploading them to WeVideo or DropBox (to pass on to my audio engineer).

Thanks,

Carol Mattick

Mar 8, 2022 6:27 PM in response to roland1970

Roland -

I have a 2020 Intel MacBook Pro running Mac OS Monterey 12.2.1. I am considering buying a Shure MV7 mic and noticed you were using one. Will the Shure mic work with Monterey 12.2.1? Shure says the mic works with Mac OS 10.13-10.15, but does that mean it will not work with later OS versions? I am going to be making audio recordings and then uploading them to WeVideo or DropBox. I would appreciate any insight you may have.

Thanks, Carol Mattick.

Mac OS 12.1 Update: Safari 15.2 external microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.