Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Unread count wrong and badge no showing

Hi

Since yesterday my Mail has been showing a Unread message (Smart Mailbox) count of 1 even though there are NO messages in the folder, and I have also selected Mark all messages as read and nothing changes this.

Also, the Dock Icon has no badge when actual messages appear that state I have new unread messages.

I have deleted the Smart Mailbox and recreated and the same issue occurs.

Anyway to resolve this?

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 12:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 4:35 AM

Quit Mail if it’s open.

• In ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData, delete any file that begins with “Envelope Index,” such as Envelope Index or Envelope Index-shm.

• Your home Library folder is hidden by default. To display it, choose Finder > “Go to Folder” and then enter “~/Library

• Open Mail.

• Mail creates new Envelope Index files. This process may take a few minutes, depending on how many messages Mail is reindexing.

• It will fix your issue.

"Message Import": 

In above one may need to change the V7 to V9

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2021 4:35 AM in response to Rob Snow

Quit Mail if it’s open.

• In ~/Library/Mail/V7/MailData, delete any file that begins with “Envelope Index,” such as Envelope Index or Envelope Index-shm.

• Your home Library folder is hidden by default. To display it, choose Finder > “Go to Folder” and then enter “~/Library

• Open Mail.

• Mail creates new Envelope Index files. This process may take a few minutes, depending on how many messages Mail is reindexing.

• It will fix your issue.

"Message Import": 

In above one may need to change the V7 to V9

Dec 17, 2021 1:48 AM in response to Rob Snow

One step that takes just a second is quitting and opening Mail while holding the Shift key, this prevents the saved state of the app from relaunching. If fixed, awesome, relaunch and open normally! (I’m assuming this isn’t happening on all of your devices). And definitely update if available. Cheers.

Dec 17, 2021 12:56 AM in response to Rob Snow

If you are still on 12.0.1 try updating to 12.1 which was released 12/13/2021.

DId you select all messages in each mailbox and select Mark all messages as read in case you missed a message.

If still problem boot to Safe Mode. That boot up takes minutes and clears caches and other things that may resolve your problem.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Mail Unread count wrong and badge no showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.