Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch just updated to watch OS 8.3 and battery will only last a couple of hours before it is drained?

Why is my watch battery draining so fast after updating to OS 8.3? It now goes completely dead after a couple hours.

Apple Watch Series 5

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 1:11 PM

If the battery drains too fast after an update, see all the replies to:

Battery Drain since watchos 7.4 - Apple Community

WatchOS 7.5 battery drain - Apple Community

FWIW, in some cases, unpairing the watch, completely erasing it, then pairing and restoring the backup will resolve the battery draining issue after an update. (Simply unpairing and pairing again may not work.)

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also, some people have found that simply waiting a few days after an update resolves the battery draining problem.

49 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2021 1:11 PM in response to PamDickinson3

If the battery drains too fast after an update, see all the replies to:

Battery Drain since watchos 7.4 - Apple Community

WatchOS 7.5 battery drain - Apple Community

FWIW, in some cases, unpairing the watch, completely erasing it, then pairing and restoring the backup will resolve the battery draining issue after an update. (Simply unpairing and pairing again may not work.)

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also, some people have found that simply waiting a few days after an update resolves the battery draining problem.

Dec 21, 2021 3:36 AM in response to witzer5380

I have the same issue, not charging and/or serious battery drain.

Watch shows as charging, but all this does is maintain the current level of charge. Removing from my dock the 10 - 15 % charge goes in a matter of minutes. This first happened yesterday, and have tried everything today to get it working, resets, erase and re - pair...

Can only be OS 8.3 issue, as it was fine on leading up to the update.

The problem now is that with any future update my watch will need to be 50% power and docked, which i will not be able to achieve!

Dec 21, 2021 7:54 AM in response to LJ801

Hi .. i have the same charging problem ...

I have an apple watch 6 and before upgrading to 8.3 it works with an oem charger .. afte update i couldn't charge more than 20%... it disconnects the charge ... Then i remove the charger and it recharged for 2-3 minutes then stop .. and so on...

I have restart from zero .. and now charger it is working .. let's see what happends tomorrow...

Dec 21, 2021 5:40 PM in response to PamDickinson3

i have a series 3, and i ran into the same problem as most of you. i got the update on saturday 12/18, and it was fine till yesterday. i charge my watch overnight every night and unplug it at 7:30 ish, but then today it was already 45% at noon! it

usually lasts me till at least 8 pm! is there any other solution than to wait for a few days? because i feel like this is affecting my phone too, which is having a similar issue.

Dec 22, 2021 11:48 AM in response to golvelliuscs

Problem continues … Today i have the same problem .. It only charges to 40 % then i need to remove the charger and connect .. then arrives to 50% and now it stops .. remove and charging .. if the charger it is connected for 2 hours no charging …

I am using not he original apple charger cable it’s an oem version .. maybe could be the problem?

It is possible to downgrade the apple watch 6?

Thanks..

Dec 26, 2021 9:06 AM in response to mahyns

Same issue here. Tried all suggested options - hard reset; unpair and re-pair; and, draining battery down to zero followed by full recharge. Had high hopes yesterday as battery level was high for the first two hours; then, the drain. Today, less than two hours and down to 41%. No changes to settings from before. Typically was at 50% after a full day. All of this changed upon update to 8.3. Please fix this, Apple. The user experience and brand value (which you are known for) are falling as quickly as an Apple Watch battery drains.

Dec 27, 2021 1:24 PM in response to Starmina

I continue with the same charging problem with apple watch 6. Is like if apple has remove support for oem chargers ..

I have tried with a new belkin official charger ( 3x1 iphone, watch and airpod one and it works perfect.

When i am using an oem charger it charger 10 minutes and suddenly it stops charging …

I have no problem with battery draining ..

Best regards…

Dec 27, 2021 2:47 PM in response to PamDickinson3

Same problem..

Last time in July I did a hard reset a few times and helped. This time not so much.. been 2 weeks always charging

I think it is Apple's way to get me to update.. Every 6 months lets stuff up the watch.

I used to get almost 2 days from a charge when I first got the S4

Been down to 20-30% before bed for the last year.

Honestly it is crap battery life from the watch normally.

I charged last night lost 14% first hour before bed.. then down to 46% when I woke up with sleep on.

It takes so long to charger as it is..

Doing it 2-3 times a day is a pain.

Of course like any Apple bug.. There is no Bug here to see.

Next update fixes things quietly.

I have everything Apple.. Although this we do not acknowledge people have problems until we quietly fix is annoying

Dec 27, 2021 3:01 PM in response to dave_indent

Update on my problem.

my S4 had serious battery drain since the 8.3 update so much so it won’t charge beyond 25%.

I had completed resets, unpair, restore to backup with no luck.

I completed an online chat and diagnosis, battery was fine and aging as expected (83% of full capacity). Followed up the next day with a visit to a store and appointment, same thing was observed. However the diagnosis also picked up a sensor problem… so my charge issue is possibly linked….. I still maintain it’s the 8.3 update.

the next step was to send away to repair, was advised they would see the sensor issue, assume that’s the problem and repair, not looking further into the battery charge issue before this is resolved.

the cost for this repair was on par with a new watch. So I opted for that.

while this may not be for everyone, I would recommend chatting online or arranging an appointment in store to get a diagnosis of your device… maybe, just maybe it will be easily resolved and not an (un)expected* cost like mine.

*I thought my sensor had an issue for a number of months..

Jan 2, 2022 7:05 PM in response to PamDickinson3

This happened to my wife’s apple watch. Her warranty expired so when i took it to the Apple store they were no help.. offered to send it out for repair with a cool quote $299. This is definitely a software bug that made her watch defective. She has a Apple Watch series 6, warranty expired in late September. Checked her battery health on the watch = 95%. But somehow the watch cant last past 2 hours and it runs warm. It even dies within a few hours after putting the watch on Power Reserve mode and having charged the watch to 100%. Also should note that i tried the steps listed to repair the watch and this did not do anything. Im just hoping theres an emergency update that comes out to fix the damage so that she has a working watch again.

Jan 2, 2022 7:28 PM in response to ropersus

mine been better recently after a few forced reboots and letting it go full flat and charging to 100%

Still around 20-30% less battery at end of the day

something to do with bad wifi or bluetooth connection to iphone I think.

Went in Spa that is other side of window to phone.. Twice went from 30-40% to 5% in under a hour.

Third day I turned off bluetooth and wifi.. was fine.

I noticed in the shower I lost like 5-10% as well

Not sure if bad Wifi or connection to phone.

If I go into bluetooth on watch is spinning around looking for bluetooth health devices.. Which I have none of.

Watch just updated to watch OS 8.3 and battery will only last a couple of hours before it is drained?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.