Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Start-up screen off-centre

Hello,

My Mac has given me gip from day one. It is terribly slow to start up (5min). When I log in the screen goes off-centre, as below. When I finally get in, if any apps are restarting, they show with the "spinning cog" for 5min to 10min.

Does the off-centre screen give anyone a clue about what is going on?

Some of the stuff that migration assistant brought over dates to 2005. I am tempted to create a new user to see what happens but I don't think that will sort the slow start-up.

Any thoughts, please?

Will

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 3:26 PM

Regarding the slowness of your Mac download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

We can examine the report and see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2021 3:26 PM in response to chiefsub63

Regarding the slowness of your Mac download and run Etrecheck.  Copy and paste the results into your reply. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

We can examine the report and see if we can determine the cause of the problem.

Dec 19, 2021 2:09 PM in response to chiefsub63

Hi chiefsub63,

We definitely want you to be able to enjoy your Mac and we're happy to help.

Does the issue occur while in safe mode? If you are not familiar with the safe mode steps, you can follow the steps here: How to use safe mode on your Mac to get it done. Once in safe mode, you'd want to use the Mac as you normally would to see if the issue occurs again. You can tell when the Mac is in safe mode because on the desktop it will show the words Safe Boot in the top right-hand corner of the screen. 

If you already have another user account set up, then you can use that one or create a new one to test in using the steps here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Best regards

Start-up screen off-centre

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.