Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should close lid display of MBP M1 Pro when connected external display?

I’m using MBP m1 pro chip but not sure when i connected the external display should close lid display MBP or always open it? I’m concern about heat of the machine to effect with MBP display.

If anyone has any experience or advice, please tell me.

Noted: Now i using close lid display and always plugged in.

Thank you in advance. ^^

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 18, 2021 7:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 6:11 AM

The MacBook Pro has multiple sensors that measure temperatures at critical spots inside the computer. The cooling fans are adjusted downward from their fail-safe maximum several times a second.

Air enters through slots along the sides, and exits in the rear, under the display hinge.

Having the display opened or the display closed makes only a very small difference. if the cooling provided with the display open is not available, the increase in temperature will be measured and the fans will spin faster to compensate. Be certain the computer has free and easy access to intake air along the sides, and the exhaust out the back is not blocked.

The Internet is an amazing place,. I expect you can find one case of almost anything happening to a MacBook Pro, and also the complete opposite.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2021 6:11 AM in response to bleclub

The MacBook Pro has multiple sensors that measure temperatures at critical spots inside the computer. The cooling fans are adjusted downward from their fail-safe maximum several times a second.

Air enters through slots along the sides, and exits in the rear, under the display hinge.

Having the display opened or the display closed makes only a very small difference. if the cooling provided with the display open is not available, the increase in temperature will be measured and the fans will spin faster to compensate. Be certain the computer has free and easy access to intake air along the sides, and the exhaust out the back is not blocked.

The Internet is an amazing place,. I expect you can find one case of almost anything happening to a MacBook Pro, and also the complete opposite.

Dec 18, 2021 7:20 PM in response to bleclub

You paid dearly for that display, now approaching 4K resolution. Why not use both displays together, as one big "Extended Desktop"

turn off [√[ Mirror Displays, and the two can be dragged into any orientation to each other. The mouse moves freely across the boundary between displays, and can carry a window all or part way across.

Should close lid display of MBP M1 Pro when connected external display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.