Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to permanently delete files already deleted from the recycle bin

Hi, I deleted files using my trash bin, but since I know that you can always find and restore files even if the trash empty, I wanted to know if there is any software that can delete files permanently that I already deleted from trash.

Thank you

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 9:37 AM

but since I know that you can always find and restore files even if the trash empty,

If it is an SSD, that statement is pretty much impossible. If it is an HDD, then once you write over the files, it becomes nearly impossible. If your drive is encrypted then it is even more impossible. If your data is such that you think a country or three-letter agency might want to recover your deleted files, then you should have it encrypted.

If you have a T2 or Apple Silicon Mac, then it is always encrypted, whether you have FileVault enabled or not.

If we are talking about the Mac you are using to post this message connected to the internet, then I wouldn't imagine you have data on it that is so sensitive that you have to worry about someone recovering the deleted files.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2021 9:37 AM in response to Kjohko

but since I know that you can always find and restore files even if the trash empty,

If it is an SSD, that statement is pretty much impossible. If it is an HDD, then once you write over the files, it becomes nearly impossible. If your drive is encrypted then it is even more impossible. If your data is such that you think a country or three-letter agency might want to recover your deleted files, then you should have it encrypted.

If you have a T2 or Apple Silicon Mac, then it is always encrypted, whether you have FileVault enabled or not.

If we are talking about the Mac you are using to post this message connected to the internet, then I wouldn't imagine you have data on it that is so sensitive that you have to worry about someone recovering the deleted files.

Dec 19, 2021 11:07 AM in response to Barney-15E

The generic "extremely nosy people" don't have the capability to recover information erased from an SSD

I didn't know that, I am not an expert, that's why I asked, but I saw on google that there are softwares that can allow you to restore deleted file (I read that "disk drill" do this) and you don't need to be part of agencies to do that.

My mac has T2 chip and I will follow the " What to do before you sell, give away or trade in your Mac" guide.

Thank you

Dec 19, 2021 9:52 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hi Barney, thank you for answer.

Actually I just want to sell my computer and since I don't know personally who will buy it and most important I know that people could be extremely nosy, I just want to make sure to erase my personal data and protect my privacy, end of the story.

I really don't understand why you mentioned "three-letter agency" like this was some criminal issue.

Dec 19, 2021 10:51 AM in response to Kjohko

I really don't understand why you mentioned "three-letter agency" like this was some criminal issue.

Because the only people capable of what you surmise is possible are those agencies. The generic "extremely nosy people" don't have the capability to recover information erased from an SSD. Most certainly not from an encrypted SSD.

If it is not already encrypted (and is not a T2 or M1 Mac), then encrypt it before erasing it.

Dec 19, 2021 11:46 AM in response to Kjohko

(I read that "disk drill" do this)

Here is what Disk Drill has to say about their own product:

In reality, data recovery on Mac is mostly about luck!

When you delete from a HDD, the data remains until overwritten. That might be now or never.

When you delete from an SSD, the data remains until the Garbage Collection (or TRIM) routine runs and makes the bit available for writing, clearing the data stored there. The time it takes is dependent on the design of the SSD controller (or OS implementation of TRIM), but it should be fairly expedient.

I didn't know that, I am not an expert, that's why I asked,

It is always better to ask about the ultimate goal as opposed to asking about the solution you think will solve the problem.

Q: "I want to sell my Mac. How should I prepare it so the buyers can't recover my data?"

A: "If it isn't already encrypted, encrypt it. Erase the drive and reinstall macOS. See <link provided by Kjohko> for more things to do before selling or giving away your Mac."

As you noted, you have a T2 Mac, so it has always been encrypted whether you enabled FileVault or not.

Dec 19, 2021 1:37 PM in response to Barney-15E

"When you delete from a HDD, the data remains until overwritten. That might be now or never.

When you delete from an SSD, the data remains until the Garbage Collection (or TRIM) routine runs and makes the bit available for writing, clearing the data stored there. The time it takes is dependent on the design of the SSD controller (or OS implementation of TRIM), but it should be fairly expedient."

Ok, thank you, I am learning something new I didn't knew before.

"It is always better to ask about the ultimate goal as opposed to asking about the solution you think will solve the problem."

You are absolutely right about that, I just didn't think was a useful information to say and that there was a topic about what to do before to sell a computer, that's why I asked straight to solve the problem.

How to permanently delete files already deleted from the recycle bin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.