Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has Apple Music swallowed my CDs?

Hello, everyone.

I have about 900 Gigabytes of music, the largest part of it from CDs I loaded onto my imac. I was recently obliged to update the operating system to Monetrey, which immediately transferred all of the music from itunes

to Apple Music. As a result, none of it is now on my home machine--it's on icloud.

My first question: if I were to quit Apple Music, I appreciate that all of my downloaded music from Apple will disappear, but am I correct in thinking that my CD-loaded music would remain intact?

Second question: is there any way that I could restore all of my music files to my imac?(I have a 2 Terabyte machine, so capacity is not a problem.)

I'd be grateful for any guidance. many thanks!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 2:17 PM

See the 'On your Mac' and 'Need help?' sections in:

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support

If you have a large music library, it might take some time to upload and sync your music library across all of your devices. 900 GB will take a LOT of time!!!

If you sign out of your Apple ID or cancel your Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription, you won’t be able to access and sync your music library on all of your devices. The original song files will remain on the device that they were uploaded from. However, I strongly suggest you make a backup of your music library first.

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 19, 2021 2:17 PM in response to Marizon1

See the 'On your Mac' and 'Need help?' sections in:

Turn on Sync Library with Apple Music - Apple Support

If you have a large music library, it might take some time to upload and sync your music library across all of your devices. 900 GB will take a LOT of time!!!

If you sign out of your Apple ID or cancel your Apple Music or iTunes Match subscription, you won’t be able to access and sync your music library on all of your devices. The original song files will remain on the device that they were uploaded from. However, I strongly suggest you make a backup of your music library first.

See also How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support for Apple's approach to this topic.

Has Apple Music swallowed my CDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.