Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The "share" function just hangs, and creates a small, incompatible .mov file that Q-Time won't even play. How do I share to FB/You tube; tried many times and does not work

The "share" function in iMovie just hangs (for hours), and creates a small, incompatible .mov file that Q-Time won't even play. How do I share to FB/You tube; tried many times and does not work

iMac 27″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 8:50 AM

Apple has discontinued the Facebook and, I believe, the You Tube direct interactions. The procedure now is to share to your desktop and from there upload to the destination website.

When you share to your desktop initially an unplayable temporary file will appear until the export fully completes, at which time the temporary file will disappear and be replaced by a fully complete movie file. Sometimes the process may take a minute or so, depending on the size of the exported file. Is this possibly what you are observing? If so, the full file should be displayed somewhere on your desktop.

If the above is not your situation, try deleting preferences, as that procedure sometimes cures export issues. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Now see if you can export a full file. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 8:50 AM in response to sbradnam

Apple has discontinued the Facebook and, I believe, the You Tube direct interactions. The procedure now is to share to your desktop and from there upload to the destination website.

When you share to your desktop initially an unplayable temporary file will appear until the export fully completes, at which time the temporary file will disappear and be replaced by a fully complete movie file. Sometimes the process may take a minute or so, depending on the size of the exported file. Is this possibly what you are observing? If so, the full file should be displayed somewhere on your desktop.

If the above is not your situation, try deleting preferences, as that procedure sometimes cures export issues. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Now see if you can export a full file. Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

-- Rich

The "share" function just hangs, and creates a small, incompatible .mov file that Q-Time won't even play. How do I share to FB/You tube; tried many times and does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.