You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer playlists to and from iPod to M1 Mac

Is it possible to move a playlist from my iPod to my M1 Mac and back without syncing everything? We use family sharing. My iPod is generally synced to my husband's computer. But, sometimes I want to move a playlist from my iPod to my computer or vice versa. This used to be possible. Is it still?

iPod, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 10:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 2:46 AM

You're not missing anything, Music/Finder are. The ability to directly manipulate playlists on a device is a feature of iTunes that hasn't carried over. Create a playlist folder for your device in Music. Arrange the playlists that you want on the device in that folder, then sync the whole folder to the device. When you want to make changes update the lists in Music, and then sync. If there is content on your iPod that isn't in your library then reclaim it first.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 21, 2021 2:46 AM in response to CG Dancer

You're not missing anything, Music/Finder are. The ability to directly manipulate playlists on a device is a feature of iTunes that hasn't carried over. Create a playlist folder for your device in Music. Arrange the playlists that you want on the device in that folder, then sync the whole folder to the device. When you want to make changes update the lists in Music, and then sync. If there is content on your iPod that isn't in your library then reclaim it first.

tt2

Dec 21, 2021 9:53 AM in response to CG Dancer

If your computer doesn't have space for your full library, consider putting it on an external or network drive that you can have available when you're at home. Having your iPod as the only repository of your media is asking to have a very sad day when the device is lost, stolen, damaged, or needs to be restored.

Use Product Feedback - Apple to let Apple know you'd like to be able to browse, play, and manage the content of a connected iPod with Music in the same way that you could with iTunes.

tt2

Dec 20, 2021 10:28 PM in response to turingtest2

I used to be able to see my iPod playlists on my computer when the iPod was plugged into the computer. It was much easier to create playlists with the big screen. Also, songs that were downloaded to my iPod, but not my computer could be played while my iPod was plugged in. I keep a lot more songs on my iPod than my computer, so this was handy. But, it doesn't appear to be possible to do that anymore. Am I missing something?

Dec 21, 2021 9:07 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for confirming that. I was hoping that with a new iPod and computer the problems I was having with the old set up would be resolved. But, instead of fixing the problem, it looks like Apple chose to delete the feature.

If any Apple folks read this, being able to see Playlists and run my iPod on a big screen is a vital function for me. I have a ton of songs on my iPod that I don't want to store on my computer, and I don't always have access to WiFi to download new songs on my computer while I'm out teaching. Please consider bringing this feature back. Thanks.

Dec 21, 2021 6:54 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. We have family sharing, so all of our music is neatly organized on my husband's computer (which is synced with my iPod). That's part of the problem. If I sync off my computer, I lose his organization. But, we are backed up with Backblaze and Time Machine as well. I also keep my old iPod with me in case of a breakdown.

I will send a feedback note to Apple. Thanks for the link. I would really like to be able to manage playlists on my iPod through my computer!

Transfer playlists to and from iPod to M1 Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.