Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Potential security flaw with Face ID

Just recently got a new iPhone 13 pro. Despite attention awareness switched ON, Face ID unlocks my phone even with my eyes closed. I tried resetting Face ID, but unfortunately the issue still persists. Any help would be much appreciated.

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 3:02 PM

Are you sure? How do you now it unlocks it if your eyes are closed? Sounds like Shrodinger's locked status.

If you are still looking at the phone, and open your eyes, then it will at that moment recognize you are looking at it and unlock.

You can test this, by closing your eyes, turning it on, wave it at your face for a moment then before opening your eyes to check, cover the cameras with your thumb so they can't see you.

If its unlocked with the cameras covered, then it did unlock.

If its locked, then its not unlocking when you have your eyes closed, but unlocks it the moment you open them.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2021 3:02 PM in response to Rob9487

Are you sure? How do you now it unlocks it if your eyes are closed? Sounds like Shrodinger's locked status.

If you are still looking at the phone, and open your eyes, then it will at that moment recognize you are looking at it and unlock.

You can test this, by closing your eyes, turning it on, wave it at your face for a moment then before opening your eyes to check, cover the cameras with your thumb so they can't see you.

If its unlocked with the cameras covered, then it did unlock.

If its locked, then its not unlocking when you have your eyes closed, but unlocks it the moment you open them.

Dec 20, 2021 3:43 PM in response to Phil0124

Yea, I get your point. Actually my mistake was not knowing when Face ID sensors get activated. I wrongly thought that after hitting the power button only when you swipe up, sensors get activated. So I was closing my eyes after pressing the power and then swiping up and the phone was getting unlocked. I have switched from an android phone with an IR face unlock which used to work differently. By the way, that Schrodinger analogy was great😁.

Potential security flaw with Face ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.