Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Look up translation in iBooks

I'm using iBooks on an iPhone with iOS 15.1 to read a book in a foreign language. Previously when I touched a word I used to get a lookup option which gave a translation. Now the lookup option gives general knowledge. Is it possible to get back the translation to English? I can use a separate translation app but I have to leave iBooks and retype the word that way.

iPhone 7, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 5:13 AM

Hello. Yes the Spanish to English translation was activated in Dictionaries. I've now tested Look Up a lot more and I realise if this dictionary has a translation it will show it and if not Look Up comes up with something else, eg from Wikipedia. Maybe it's a new feature of iOS 15.1. And if this Dictionary in Settings doesn't recognise the word, I find the Google Translate app pretty much always does. Guess it's drawing on a wider pool of raw material. Thank you for your help!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 21, 2021 5:13 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Hello. Yes the Spanish to English translation was activated in Dictionaries. I've now tested Look Up a lot more and I realise if this dictionary has a translation it will show it and if not Look Up comes up with something else, eg from Wikipedia. Maybe it's a new feature of iOS 15.1. And if this Dictionary in Settings doesn't recognise the word, I find the Google Translate app pretty much always does. Guess it's drawing on a wider pool of raw material. Thank you for your help!

Look up translation in iBooks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.