Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete several characters, including special characters, from multiple filenames

I've seen several solutions for something similar to my issue, but my skills in AppleScript are not even Close to being able to modify the scripts for my own needs.

During migrations, updates, and who knows what else, a LARGE number of my files have been renamed FileName (from taimi's air).XXX Notice the special characters ( ) and '

Even if I have to remove the end characters folder by folder, it's still a huge time savings than trying to do each file individually.

Is there anyone who can give me guidance into how to get rid of these? Running OS 11.6

Thanks.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.1

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 5:29 PM

You can do this from the Finder. Select the files and then right-click or control-click and choose "rename". There is a user interface that will allow you to define how the rename should work. Try it on a couple of files, and then try it on a couple thousand.

Similar questions

2 replies

Delete several characters, including special characters, from multiple filenames

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.