Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

if I reinstall Catalina os, will it automatically use Monterey os?

I don't want to upgrade my os from Catalina to Monterey but I'm having some issues with my MacBook freezing up. I have to shut it down and restart to unfreeze it.

Support said if I don't want to upgrade to Monterey, I could try to reinstall the operating system.

Question is: Will this automatically install Monterey or will I be giving the option of reinstalling Catalina?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 12:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 1:06 PM

Use the Shift-Option-Command-R key combination during startup. From the article you just read:

On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Shift-Option-Command-R during startup, you're offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. If you use Option-Command-R during startup, in most cases you're offered the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac. Otherwise you're offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2021 1:06 PM in response to martyge1

Use the Shift-Option-Command-R key combination during startup. From the article you just read:

On an Intel-based Mac, if you use Shift-Option-Command-R during startup, you're offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available. If you use Option-Command-R during startup, in most cases you're offered the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac. Otherwise you're offered the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

if I reinstall Catalina os, will it automatically use Monterey os?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.