Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 iMac can't find Monterey

I am trying to upgrade from Catalina to Monterey. Have backed up my system, gone to Preferences then Software update. It does not suggest any, so I have tried "GET" OS Monterey from the App Store. Software update says "Finding Update" and then after the blue line fills up, it quits. Have made many attempts including shutdowns and reboots. My 1 TB HD is only half full. There was no problem updating on my 2015 MacBook pro. Any ideas?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 10:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2022 7:40 AM

After starting in Safe Mode I went to the Terminal and saw that my default shell was “bash” and not “zsh”. I made the switch, rebooted computer, and it immediately notified me there was a software update! Downloading Monterey now with no issues.

8 replies

Apr 9, 2022 6:40 AM in response to whizbang52

Follow the previous advise first and only if still having issues >>

There are factors:

1 - Like poor Wifi connection

2 - Slow wifi connection

3 - Too many other people downloading at the same time and Apple Severs are overloaded

4 - Software on the computer interfering with the download process including AntiVirus Software

Notation: Disabling the AV Software may or may not solve the issue. Removal of the AV Software may increase the chances of the download to perform as expected.

5 - Running behind a VPN which may increase Packet losses or corruption of the download 

6 - If via wifi too many Other devices using the wifi at the same time reducing the Bandwidth to your computer. 

7 - Best Results are via Ethernet Cable to Router

2019 iMac can't find Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.