Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is purpose or function of having email accounts on Calendar?

don't understand what email accounts has to do with calendars. I have multiple emails accounts and occasionally a calendar entry i write appears 2 to 4 times, if i delete accounts temporarily disappear. then I click on a date to add a new Calendar entry and the multiple entries of OTHER events in multicolors are added back to my calendar.

Before I remove email accounts from my Calendar, it'd be nice to know why they are there. And if it's to suggest dates-events mentioned in an email, why does it appear 2 or more times. it's only in one account?

I've had a real problem with my Contacts multiplying contacts to point that the app is practically unusable. Every key stroke get spinning ball. now afraid it's happening to Calendar.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 6:34 PM

Here is an intro to using Calendar that might help understand how it works:

Calendar User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

There are accounts associated with calendar because calendars are commonly stored on remote servers including iCloud, because storing the calendar stuff locally works great for just one user on just one device and not so well for that user with multiple devices or with people coordinating.

Within the app, there are also different calendars (usually remote, but can be local) that store different events. One example is the Apple holiday calendar that’s often available, and there are other servers with other calendars with other preferred lists of holidays available for those interested. And there re shared office calendars, and calendars that can be shared among members of a Family Sharing group.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2021 6:34 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

Here is an intro to using Calendar that might help understand how it works:

Calendar User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

There are accounts associated with calendar because calendars are commonly stored on remote servers including iCloud, because storing the calendar stuff locally works great for just one user on just one device and not so well for that user with multiple devices or with people coordinating.

Within the app, there are also different calendars (usually remote, but can be local) that store different events. One example is the Apple holiday calendar that’s often available, and there are other servers with other calendars with other preferred lists of holidays available for those interested. And there re shared office calendars, and calendars that can be shared among members of a Family Sharing group.

Dec 23, 2021 6:30 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

I'm sorry, but I don't understand that. no one else post anything on my calendar.

I didn't say anything about anyone posting anything on your calendar. I asked where you are seeing these email accounts and suggested a possible location with explanation.

occasionally Mail asked if put something on calendar? is that what I'd lose. ok with me, since I decide and do it.

Maybe you are seeing Siri Suggestions.

Dec 23, 2021 5:25 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

Email was one of the first applications of the internet, long before the web. In those early days, it was closely associated with contacts and calendars because that is what large organizations needed. There are several different e-mail standards still in use today. Some of them include calendar support, and some have had calendar support hacked in through some clever methods. At this point, those clever ideas are now permanently baked into the fabric of the internet.

Dec 23, 2021 6:25 PM in response to Barney-15E

I'm sorry, but I don't understand that. no one else post anything on my calendar. occasionally Mail asked if put something on calendar? is that what I'd lose. ok with me, since I decide and do it. way better than seeing 3 identical events. still don't understand why if come in on 1 email account I get multiple Calendar entries. but then could say same of Contacts. these things seem to have minds of their own.

Dec 23, 2021 6:33 PM in response to ArmandoWyo

ArmandoWyo wrote:

but if i remove or disable accounts, what do I lose? is there a downside? some functionality that will be missing?

It all depends on what kind of accounts you have and what you mean by remove or disable.

I only keep those "ancillary email" services (contacts, calendars, reminders, notes) enabled for one account. I can still check e-mail in all of my accounts, but I don't need everything. If I were still working, then I would likely have to keep at least contacts and calendars enabled for my work account. And yes, sometimes that would be a hassle to make sure I am scheduling items using the correct calendar.

It sounds like you may have multiple calendar subscriptions for the same calendars. In Calendar, you can right click or control click on each calendar to get more information. This will tell you which account each calendar is associated with. Make sure you only have one calendar per account. If you need multiple e-mail accounts, then you may need multiple calendars.

what is purpose or function of having email accounts on Calendar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.