Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 Mac mini WiFi issues

I have an M1 Mac Mini, 16GB, 512G HD, 1Gb Ethernet. Yesterday after initial connecting to WiFi, it was blazing at about 600Mb/s down and 22 Mb/s up. Other connected devices (iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro) were all showing comparable connection speeds. This morning, the Mini WiFi is dead yet all the other devices are still connected with the same speeds as yesterday.

I've tried rebooting both the Mini and the cable modem, turning the Mini on its side, checking Network Preferences and Advanced options (all appear normal and connected), and resetting the modem through the ISP but nothing was changed. It's still dead. I have plugged in an Ethernet Cat6 cable, and the speeds are peaking over 600 down and 23 up just as they should be from the ISP.

Any thoughts before I call Apple Support on Monday? Moving the modem/router is an option, but sort of defeats the purpose of having a central WiFi router for optimum connectivity. Thanks in advance for your assistance! -BF

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 5:09 PM

I figured it out. I had my iPhone and iPad both connected at the time. I live in a low cellular signal quality area, and the phone took over the network access and basically shut down the data transfer. I should have recognized it sooner. The SpeedTest app was showing the WiFi as Verizon, and I didn't catch it at the time.

So, it seems it was an error of sort induced unknowingly by me. I'll have to correct that. We've been traveling the last two years, and we've hotspot and tethered the phones and tablets to the computer for cellular network access. I just didn't catch it. Thanks for the replies and the good troubleshooting tips! -BF

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2021 5:09 PM in response to BigFun

I figured it out. I had my iPhone and iPad both connected at the time. I live in a low cellular signal quality area, and the phone took over the network access and basically shut down the data transfer. I should have recognized it sooner. The SpeedTest app was showing the WiFi as Verizon, and I didn't catch it at the time.

So, it seems it was an error of sort induced unknowingly by me. I'll have to correct that. We've been traveling the last two years, and we've hotspot and tethered the phones and tablets to the computer for cellular network access. I just didn't catch it. Thanks for the replies and the good troubleshooting tips! -BF

Dec 25, 2021 11:54 AM in response to BigFun

To understand you correctly, with ethernet cable not connected, All WiFi values for your WiFi network are correct and a proper IP has been assigned, correct DNS server, search domains, etc. by the router when on WiFi?

If this is in fact true, then at least the hardware and low level drivers are still functional. Do you have any other network functionality besides a speed test?

Have you tried a power down restart of the modem/router? All the cable company reset does is reset the router to the cable network connection and does nothing else in terms of you internal network.

If you have location "Automatic" set in the WiFi settings, click the dropdown and select edit locations for the WiFi connection, select new, then let things go through reconnecting with a clean slate.

Dec 25, 2021 2:18 PM in response to woodmeister50

As far as I can tell, before the ethernet cable was connected, the SSID was recognized by the computer and connected to the WiFi network, however, no data was passing through the network connection. The DHCP assigned an IP address, but no throughput. When I connected the cable, the throughput returned to normal with full connection and speedtest was great.

Just a few moments ago, I disconnected the ethernet cable to check the WiFi, and as mysteriously as it stopped working, WiFi returned to normal. I can only speculate there was a hiccup in the system somewhere, found, and corrected by the OS. I will continue to monitor and update as needed, but for now all is normal.

Thanks woodmister50 for the response.

M1 Mac mini WiFi issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.