Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using gift cards and not credit cards

Why do I need a credit card on file to use the App Store? If I have a thousand dollars on my Apple ID what purpose is a credit card? My kid racked up 400 bucks on my credit card before knowing that I needed to turn off in app purchases so

I wanted to set up gift cards only. If she runs out of money she can’t buy anymore. Is there a way to do that or no? Thanks

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 8:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 8:12 PM

Scotghf Said:

"Using gift cards and not credit cards: Why do I need a credit card on file to use the App Store?[...]"

-------

In-App Purchases:

You need at least one Method of Payment assigned to your device. This is because even though an app may be free, in-app purchases are an option.

Use PayPal:

So, if you do not have a Credit Card to use, then see if you can use a PayPal account. Go Here: Payment methods you can use in the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store - Apple Support

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2021 8:12 PM in response to Scotghf

Scotghf Said:

"Using gift cards and not credit cards: Why do I need a credit card on file to use the App Store?[...]"

-------

In-App Purchases:

You need at least one Method of Payment assigned to your device. This is because even though an app may be free, in-app purchases are an option.

Use PayPal:

So, if you do not have a Credit Card to use, then see if you can use a PayPal account. Go Here: Payment methods you can use in the iTunes Store, App Store, and iBooks Store - Apple Support

Using gift cards and not credit cards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.