Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon.net email account no longer recognized by iMac with Big Sur

after using Verizo.net email account for months, suddenly I get a pop-up "Unable to verify account name or password"

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 8:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 10:44 PM

I suggest starting with double-checking that you have the correct email server information configured for your Verizon email account in Apple Mail. To do so, try using this Apple Support site: Mail Settings Lookup - Apple Support

If the server settings are correct, do you enable two-factor authentication with your Verizon email account? Can you access your email account via a web browser successfully?

You may find the following support article helpful: Troubleshoot email problems in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 25, 2021 10:44 PM in response to clara272

I suggest starting with double-checking that you have the correct email server information configured for your Verizon email account in Apple Mail. To do so, try using this Apple Support site: Mail Settings Lookup - Apple Support

If the server settings are correct, do you enable two-factor authentication with your Verizon email account? Can you access your email account via a web browser successfully?

You may find the following support article helpful: Troubleshoot email problems in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Jan 11, 2022 5:53 AM in response to clara272

It's that email we have been getting for the past 6 months that if you use a 3rd party (non-AOL) mail client, you have to use a one-time password.

I enabled two factor so I have to enter a code from an authenticator app (I use Duo but you could use Google Authenticator as well), then I went to the setting to create a one-time password. Reconnect with that password in Mail. It didn't immediately fix it. Next time I launched everything is OK.

Jan 11, 2022 1:54 PM in response to clara272

In the upper right, click on “Options”

Go to “Account Info”

Click on “Account Security”

At the bottom of the page, “Manage App Passwords”

At the pop up window, select “Mac Mail”, then “Generate”

Select and copy the key created...

Go to Apple Mail

There are THREE places to paste the key, the third is under SMTP sub-window...

Save and quit Mail, reopen.

Check Connection Doctor to see if AOL mail is being logged into correctly, both incoming and outgoing...

Verizon.net email account no longer recognized by iMac with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.