Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Read Receipt

why are my messages sending read receipts all of a sudden when I never turned them on????

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 2:12 PM

We all know this is a bug, I’m confused as to why nobody is admitting it at this point. This happened suddenly after updating, read receipts are turned off everywhere. We’ve all tried toggling the setting and restarting, it even shows in the settings that read receipts are off but they still keep happening. what gives?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 2:12 PM in response to OrigamiFan1

We all know this is a bug, I’m confused as to why nobody is admitting it at this point. This happened suddenly after updating, read receipts are turned off everywhere. We’ve all tried toggling the setting and restarting, it even shows in the settings that read receipts are off but they still keep happening. what gives?

Dec 27, 2021 7:05 AM in response to Voltagefox

Hi Voltagefox,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you have a question about read receipts with iMessage. We're happy to provide some information to assist.

If you use multiple iOS devices, you can double check the feature is off in Settings > Messages > Send Read Receipts.

If you're only seeing this for a specific contact, check to make sure the feature is off on the contact level. To do so, navigate to the Messages app and choose the thread. Next, tap the contact's name and or picture at the top of the page and ensure "Send Read Receipts" if off.

If you have a Mac, check the setting is of there as well. Send read receipts in Messages on Mac

Best!

Read Receipt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.