Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop iTunes from adding extra seconds to a short track when ripping a CD

How do I stop iTunes from adding seconds to my short tracks when I rip a CD? I have great 2- and 3-second tracks that I worked hard on getting the exact timing right before the next tracks. Why did iTunes add seconds when I ripped my playlist to a CD and how do I stop that?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 4:44 AM

When you rip a CD (copy from CD to computer) you get the timing that exists on the disc. This may include any inter-track gap. When you burn a CD (create a new CD from songs in your library) iTunes/Music will by default include a two-second gap. You can adjust this parameter before you start the burn. See Create CDs and DVDs in Music on Mac - Apple Support, the process is essentially the same for iTunes.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2021 4:44 AM in response to impel2

When you rip a CD (copy from CD to computer) you get the timing that exists on the disc. This may include any inter-track gap. When you burn a CD (create a new CD from songs in your library) iTunes/Music will by default include a two-second gap. You can adjust this parameter before you start the burn. See Create CDs and DVDs in Music on Mac - Apple Support, the process is essentially the same for iTunes.

tt2

Dec 27, 2021 11:45 AM in response to turingtest2

Maybe I'm not using the terms correctly. I'm talking about when I burn a playlist to a CD. I've already chosen to not include the gap between songs. What I'm learning is that iTunes for some reason (or is it the Mac SuperDrive?) does not want to burn 2- or 3-second tracks. It's as if the minimum required length of a track is 6 seconds. Do you know how to get around this?

Dec 28, 2021 9:33 AM in response to turingtest2

For anyone who also encountered this problem, here was my workaround. I opened the first track in Quicktime and then I dragged the second one on top of it, positioning it at the front or the back respectively and creating one combined track. I imported it back into iTunes as one song, eliminating the need for a short track. It's not my preferred solution, but it worked for my purposes. Thanks for the response.

If anyone has a better solution, I'm open to hearing about it.

Stop iTunes from adding extra seconds to a short track when ripping a CD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.