Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens to the battery if I leave a newly bought iPhone SE unpacked for a long time?

What happens to the battery if I leave a newly bought iPhone SE unpacked for a long time? I recently bought an iPhone SE back. It was supposed to be a Christmas gift for my son, but due to Corona virus related travel restrictions, we were not able to celebrate Christmas together and thus I was not able to give him his new phone. So, it looks like it will be sitting on my desk unpacked for several months (6 months or more) before I can give it to him. I am worried that this may be detrimental for the phone's battery. Should I remove it from its packaging and charge the battery? If so, should I fully charge it (100%), or just 50%? Any advice would be very much appreciated.

iPhone SE

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 9:28 AM

It’s usually recommended for long term storage that a battery be stored in the middle of the charge range. Most Apple devices and replacement batteries are distributed this way. There’s nothing particularly damaging about charging up to 100%, turning it off, and leaving it in storage, but in the middle is supposed to be a little bit better for long term reliability.

Eventually it’s going to reach a deep discharge state (well below the 0% level that results in a forced auto shutdown), but that can take I’d think at least a year, and not likely if it started off at at least 50%. Deep discharge is more likely if it started off at close to 0% and is stored.

You might try just charging it to see what level it’s at. You wouldn’t need to activate it. It doesn’t need to be at a precise charge level for storage.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2021 9:28 AM in response to Chuchuman

It’s usually recommended for long term storage that a battery be stored in the middle of the charge range. Most Apple devices and replacement batteries are distributed this way. There’s nothing particularly damaging about charging up to 100%, turning it off, and leaving it in storage, but in the middle is supposed to be a little bit better for long term reliability.

Eventually it’s going to reach a deep discharge state (well below the 0% level that results in a forced auto shutdown), but that can take I’d think at least a year, and not likely if it started off at at least 50%. Deep discharge is more likely if it started off at close to 0% and is stored.

You might try just charging it to see what level it’s at. You wouldn’t need to activate it. It doesn’t need to be at a precise charge level for storage.

What happens to the battery if I leave a newly bought iPhone SE unpacked for a long time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.