Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro cannot charge M1 12.9 inch iPad Pro via any port

Has anyone experienced this issue where connecting a M1 iPad Pro to any port on the new M1 MacBook Pro results in a flashing charging light on the iPad Pro and the iPad Pro not being recognized by the MacBook Pro in Finder?

MacBook Pro is connected to power.

I have tried all ports, same result.

I have tried multiple Thunderbolt cables, including Apple's Pro Cable.

The iPad Pro is recognized by other Macs instantly.

It would seem that my thunderbolt ports are not receiving consistent power, but Apple Diagnostics has revealed no issues.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 3:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 11:58 AM

Hello LukeD,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your iPad isn’t being recognized by your Mac. We are happy to help.

Please try the steps here: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support If your iPad still isn’t being recognized by your computer, we recommend having an Apple Technician inspect your Mac and iPad. You can locate the nearest service provider in your region here: Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 11:58 AM in response to LukeD

Hello LukeD,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We understand that your iPad isn’t being recognized by your Mac. We are happy to help.

Please try the steps here: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support If your iPad still isn’t being recognized by your computer, we recommend having an Apple Technician inspect your Mac and iPad. You can locate the nearest service provider in your region here: Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Let us know if you have further questions.

Take care.

Dec 28, 2021 12:10 PM in response to green500

Went to the Apple Store today. The Genius said that it is an issue with power to the Thunderbolt ports. The MacBook Pro will recognize smaller devices, but something as big as an iPad won't be recognized.

Genius said he saw this issue on several of the latest 2021 MacBook Pros, so it could be hit or miss on ordering another one.

Returned. Will wait for the next gen.

Jan 3, 2022 5:51 PM in response to BbearG

Thank you for sharing your experience and observation. I am sorry that you face the same problem.

While the Genius had told me that he was seeing this often, he was of the view that it was hardware/power related.

I have also read about some external displays not being recognized. In those cases, it has been suggested that it could be a Monterey issue.

The only other thought I had was to try switching the power management from Automatic to the higher performance setting. It is too late for me to try, as I had returned mine.

Hard to tell, even harder to get definitive guidance. When buying Apple's premium notebook, the customer should not have to endure such issues or even have to troubleshoot them. Connecting other Apple devices should be a given and tested accordingly in advance.

M1 MacBook Pro cannot charge M1 12.9 inch iPad Pro via any port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.