Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C monitor draining battery with Apple charger connected

I bought an LG 35WN75C-B monitor over a month ago, which connects over USB-C and has 94W of power delivery, just like my laptop's power supply. This used to keep the battery in my MacBook Pro (16", 2019 model) charged but lately, the battery sometimes drains very quickly when the monitor is connected. System Information shows the following:

AC Charger Information:

Connected: Yes

ID: 0x0000

Wattage (W): 94

Family: 0xe000400a

Charging: No

Connecting the Apple power supply to another port doesn't make any difference and the battery continues to drain at about the same rate. If I disconnect the monitor, the charging status eventually changes from "battery is not charging" to "1h 20m until fully charged" after a few seconds to a few minutes.

But sometimes the battery charges just fine with only the monitor connected, even when the computer is under load and the fans are running.

Resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM didn't help. The battery doesn't charge even when it's well below 80%, so this shouldn't be an issue with the battery optimization feature. The monitor provides 94W, just like the Apple charger. The battery drains even with the Apple charger connected. The battery drains when the computer is mostly idle. And according to System Information > Power > Health Information, the battery has just 267 cycles and the condition is normal.

Anyone else running into this?

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 11:17 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Dec 28, 2021 1:39 AM in response to steve359

It's certainly possible, especially if there's an issue with the two USB-C devices (laptop and monitor) negotiating power delivery. That's also something that could be affected by a system upgrade, like I suspect with the macOS 12.1 update.

I have tried connecting the stock Apple charger when this happens and it doesn't have any effect. Maybe the laptop is simply relying on the display's power by that point and ignoring the "extra" charger? Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any way to disable power delivery on the monitor, other than switching to HDMI or DP and losing the nice one-wire setup with all of my USB accessories running through the monitor.

Dec 28, 2021 2:15 AM in response to spaaarky21

If you connect two power supplies simultaneously (one to MBP, one to display) and the display still tweaks power delivery to the MBP enough to drain the life out of it ... which will kill the battery sooner rather than later ... than that configuration is not viable.

Practical considerations must outweigh the "one wire" cool-factor. Use DP or HDMI and keep the MBP healthy.

Just my opinion.

Dec 28, 2021 8:34 AM in response to steve359

I don't normally leave both connected to the MBP. 🙃 I only connected the Apple power supply to see if it would help when I noticed that the display connection wasn't charging the battery, which is used to do reliably.

Through the years, I have always left my laptops plugged in while in their "normal spot" near the charger. I'm not worried about its affect on the battery's longevity. I just want the computer to charge when it's connected to a 94W power source, not drain more rapidly than if it wasn't plugged in at all. I've seen the battery drain in less than hour with very light use, while connected to power.

Jan 18, 2022 1:40 PM in response to spaaarky21

As a bit of a follow-up, I've noticed a few things that might be relevant. First, I've noticed that if I connect my laptop with the lid open instead of using the external monitor by itself with an external keyboard and trackpad, it's more likely to charge, at least for a while. Sometimes that lasts for 15 minutes, occasionally it lasts for days.

And second, I have a second 2019 16" MBP as my work laptop, also running macOS 12.1 but with the 5300M GPU instead of the 5500M in my personal laptop. It charges much more reliably but it still occasionally has short periods (maybe 15-45 minutes) where it discharges before starting to charge again. Its battery rarely gets below 90%. Based on that, I'm temped to say that my personal laptop is defective. But this morning, my work laptop ran itself almost all the way down while connected to the monitor.

The monitor could also be the issue but if that were the case, I would expect both of my 2019 16" MBPs to behave the same when connected to it. The computer is a variable in this.

I've seen other threads about this mention problems with other devices negotiating USB-C power delivery, where a phone plugged into a laptop will run its battery down trying to charge the laptop. Since the laptop's battery runs down so much faster when connected to the monitor, I wonder if something similar is happening, where the laptop is running itself down trying to deliver power to the monitor. The monitor seems to charge other USB-C devices reliably.

USB-C monitor draining battery with Apple charger connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.