Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

autocorrection in numbers mac

One cannot turn auto-correction off. When you write a b and hit space, the system changes annoyingly to B. Edit-Spelling Grammar section: all unchecked. Edit-Substitutions all unchecked. This thing is blocking my work. I want to write formulas: why the heck it corrects a single letter in the first place? How does this thing assumes what I want to write??? Fixing something in pages may be OK, but in numbers it is unnecessary. Next time will you autocorrect the constants or variables in Xcode? But OK, the feature is there and has an option to turn it off. Wait no! The turning off checkmark(s) is(are) not working.

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 12:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 1:57 AM

If this is about wring formulas, I am not so sure you are in the formula editor. It sounds like you are typing "b followed by a space" as text in a cell. To create a formula, first type an = sign to open the formula editor.

The setting you are looking for is in Numbers/Preferences/Auto-Correction. It sounds like "Capitalize words automatically" is checked. Uncheck it. I turn off most autocorrections and the smart quotes and dashes. I'm not writing sentences and paragraphs and do not need correcting.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 1:57 AM in response to brecsoks

If this is about wring formulas, I am not so sure you are in the formula editor. It sounds like you are typing "b followed by a space" as text in a cell. To create a formula, first type an = sign to open the formula editor.

The setting you are looking for is in Numbers/Preferences/Auto-Correction. It sounds like "Capitalize words automatically" is checked. Uncheck it. I turn off most autocorrections and the smart quotes and dashes. I'm not writing sentences and paragraphs and do not need correcting.

autocorrection in numbers mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.