Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos stopped scanning for people

I bought a new iPhone 13 Pro 2 weeks ago and installed it by keeping my old iPhone Xs close to it. I use iCloud for my photos and they all became visible on my new phone. At night, when the phone was locked and plugged into power it also started to scan the photos for people.

But it stopped doing that after a while. It's plugged into power every night, but the text in the peoples album keeps showing "13.658 Photos Scanned. To finish scanning your remaining 7.886 photos, lock your iPhone and connect it to power." This is the case for over at least a week now.

How can I start this scanning proces again?

Note: I can add faces to photos or give names to nameless faces on photos on my MacBook and they almost instantly synchronize to my iPhone, so that works fine. But I am missing almost 8000 photos that where already tagged correctly.

Note: I upgraded iOS to 15.2 in the meantime, but that did not help.

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 3:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 2:21 AM

Last night I tried the following:

1. Close the Photos-app
  2. Switch off the iPhone
  3. Start the iPhone
  4. Plug it in the charger

When I clicked on the peoples album this morning it finally stopped showing this message and all people where populated with a lot more photos (and a lot I had to confirm).

Also used this as an answer on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253174169?answerId=256643689022#256643689022

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2022 2:21 AM in response to Nanko Bouman

Last night I tried the following:

1. Close the Photos-app
  2. Switch off the iPhone
  3. Start the iPhone
  4. Plug it in the charger

When I clicked on the peoples album this morning it finally stopped showing this message and all people where populated with a lot more photos (and a lot I had to confirm).

Also used this as an answer on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253174169?answerId=256643689022#256643689022

Photos stopped scanning for people

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.