Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

anyone had "official apple support" popup scam?

has anyone had the "official apple support" popup scam? looks scary and intrusive. does it infect your Mac?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 7:46 AM

has anyone had the "official apple support" popup scam? looks scary and intrusive. does it infect your Mac?

There only people who don't get popups to some degree are those who never owned a computer. People have been getting those since the internet went live.

Popups are usually due to adware, and adware are usually self-inflicted wounds. Adware is typically "caught" by visiting unscrupulous download hosting sites or running torrent software, and then ignoring the macOS's warning that the file may not be safe. If a site offers something "free" that you know should cost money, it probably has adware attached,

Adware can be manual removed but that it tedious and hit-and-miss. For the average user the solution is the one third-party utility that the senior contributors here trust—MalwareBytes. We trust it becasue its developer has been a respected contributor here.

To avoid more adware, get MalwareByres ONLY from the developer's site: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac

The trial/free version is run manually to remove adware. The pay-for version runs in the background to automatically intercept incoming threats in real time.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 7:46 AM in response to faylbetter

There only people who don't get popups to some degree are those who never owned a computer. People have been getting those since the internet went live.

Popups are usually due to adware, and adware are usually self-inflicted wounds. Adware is typically "caught" by visiting unscrupulous download hosting sites or running torrent software, and then ignoring the macOS's warning that the file may not be safe. If a site offers something "free" that you know should cost money, it probably has adware attached,

Adware can be manual removed but that it tedious and hit-and-miss. For the average user the solution is the one third-party utility that the senior contributors here trust—MalwareBytes. We trust it becasue its developer has been a respected contributor here.

To avoid more adware, get MalwareByres ONLY from the developer's site: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac

The trial/free version is run manually to remove adware. The pay-for version runs in the background to automatically intercept incoming threats in real time.

Dec 28, 2021 10:03 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks for that lucid answer. I'm no cyber wizard but I've checked apps and can't see anything odd lurking there. I know phishers are sneaky - and, it must be admitted, clever - but I have great trust in the chapel of apple and its power to cleanse the sins of the malwhere reflexly. (meanwhile, perhaps, my bank account is being drained. Cheers

anyone had "official apple support" popup scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.