Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro title does not follow object tracker properly on a square project

I've started learning how to use the object tracker in FCP. I've been mostly having success, but it is not working when I'm trying to use it on a square project. I have 16:9 footage from my camera and imported it into a 1:1 project. The object tracker can find and track objects perfectly fine according to the tracker bounding box. However, when I bind a title to the tracker, it randomly wanders off and does not follow the tracker properly.

I feel like this has something to do with the fact I'm using 16:9 footage in a 1:1 project, but surely this is a common use case? (especially for instagram, etc.). The same behaviour happens with built in FCP titles or third party ones. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I've included a video of the issue and how I'm adding the tracker/title.

https://youtu.be/mKk23GWpXX0

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 8:08 PM

When you're trying to conform a clip that's a different aspect ratio from your project, put the clip in a Compound Clip (all by itself). Apply effects to the Compound Clip instead. FCP "sees" compound clips as the same resolution as the project even if the clip (or contained content) is actually something completely different.

FWIW - I have zero experience with the "new" trackers in FCPX (I'm still using 10.4.10), so YMMV. Somebody else may know better. As a Motion template designer, I've run into the exact same *issue* regarding other kinds of things ("tracking" items with onscreen controls) so I understand what is likely to be going on in the background and how to deal with those issues. It is very likely the same kind of thing going on with the tracker.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 8:08 PM in response to jj_au

When you're trying to conform a clip that's a different aspect ratio from your project, put the clip in a Compound Clip (all by itself). Apply effects to the Compound Clip instead. FCP "sees" compound clips as the same resolution as the project even if the clip (or contained content) is actually something completely different.

FWIW - I have zero experience with the "new" trackers in FCPX (I'm still using 10.4.10), so YMMV. Somebody else may know better. As a Motion template designer, I've run into the exact same *issue* regarding other kinds of things ("tracking" items with onscreen controls) so I understand what is likely to be going on in the background and how to deal with those issues. It is very likely the same kind of thing going on with the tracker.

Final Cut Pro title does not follow object tracker properly on a square project

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.