Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit Camera Snapshots not updating

Over the last day or so snapshots (previews) of my cameras in HomeKit stopped updating on my iPhone 12 Pro. The text always says the snapshot is from “now” but the picture is more than a day old. The cameras still stream fine and snapshots appear normally on my iPad, Mac and iPhone 12 mini. Nothing changed in my HomeKit setup and rebooting hubs/cameras/my iPhone don’t solve this issue.

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 7:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 1:12 PM

So I rebooted my iPhone this morning and snapshots were back to normal… seems like something may have gotten fixed on Apple’s side. Can anyone else confirm a device reboot fixes camera snapshots for them?

Similar questions

112 replies

Dec 29, 2021 6:35 PM in response to bsloss09

There is an ongoing credit discussion for this:

camera_snapshots_stuck_showing_now_but_image_is

it seems to have all started this week Monday.

I've done a lot of troubleshooting and able to correct the issue, but it ends up returning.

1. Things that solve it but made it come back:
  2. factory reset iPhone
  3. delete home + accessories and start again
  4. Remove cameras only from home and re add them

I have filed a radar and have an apple support case open but I won't be hearing back from them til 6th Jan apparently.

Dec 30, 2021 5:22 PM in response to bsloss09

I have confirmed logging out of iCloud then logging back in corrects it, temporarily. Once a reboot occurs snapshots do not refresh. On some devices, not all cameras are present.

This is consistent on iPad IOS 15.2, IOS 15.2, MAC OS 12.1 and Watch OS 8.3, tvOS 15.2. I can not confirm if the fault is within the device or cloud service. The issue did start sometime after the update to 15.2, 8.3, 12.1 (respectively speaking).

I can not confirm which is the cause, the device or server-side, as the time of fault was not observed immediately after the OS update. I notice a video refresh issue earlier this week. OS updates 15.2, 12.1 and 8.3 were released on December 13, 2021. I did update my device OS within a couple of days of the release.

My logic to my cause analysis, if this issue was immediately after the OS update and a reboot occurred the same day (13th /14th) this would lead towards the device. If the issue didn't occur this week and the devices were updated and a reboot after post-reboot on the 13th /14th, a 15.2 boot (2nd boot since the update) then I would suspect a server-side issue (iCloud).

Devices the issue was observed on:

• M1 12.9 iPad
  • A12X 12.9 iPad
  • iPhone 12
  • iMac 2017 late
  • Series 7 45mm
  • Series 6 40mm
  • Apple TV HD

Dec 29, 2021 9:41 AM in response to bsloss09

Ok lets see if we can figure this out. I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max, I have an older iPad and a MacBook Pro M1 all fully updated. This is only happing on the iPhone 11 all my other devices are working as they should. I read on a other forum that if you sign out of iCloud and sign back in again it will fix the problem. I have not done this as it is more of a hassle in my opinion, at least for me. Is anyone willing to try this or have already? This does not seem to be a Homekit issue as it is only affecting one device.

Dec 29, 2021 4:11 PM in response to bsloss09

No I didn’t. It’s still working, so I think I’ll leave it be for now. I also haven’t checked my other devices to see if they are still working. I’ve had to many issues with HomeKit in this iPhone, my issue went to the engineers still no fix but they said it was a issue with HomeKit and the iPhone 11. I’m sure I’ll have to reboot my IPhone in the near future just to get HomeKit to respond and I’ll post back.

Dec 30, 2021 11:48 AM in response to bsloss09

Hi,

I have noticed this issue on my iPhone 13 pro max, my iPad Pro M1 and my Mac mini M1. They are all in the latest software versions (iOS 15.2 and macOS 12.1). The camera screenshots are blacks or with 1 day old screenshots.

Interesting aspect is that my iPad Pro on iOS 15.1 still work properly with camera screenshots. Also funny thing I shared the home with a friend on his iPhone 11 on iOS 15.2 and camera screenshots works well.

So I do not understand this issue and how to solve it.

Jan 3, 2022 3:38 AM in response to bsloss09

The Home app (and HomeKit experience), has been a major disappointment for me, with this camera thumbnail issue just the latest of many basic problems. If Apple is not capable of creating and supporting a home automation platform that is on par with the expected experience, they should discontinue it. After all, anything so-branded generally costs twice as much as other similar equipment, evidently simply because of the Apple logo.

Jan 3, 2022 8:10 AM in response to p.mcpherson63

Hmm, let's hope they pull their pants up. I agree they need to focus on a stable product that is one of Apple's pillars of success. The best thing you can do is call support and place a complaint about the service.

Interesting thought, to move to use a different platform, with that a question comes up is Apple more secure than the other platforms?

It is disappointing. Include the fact the wife keeps nagging, why are the Cameras not working?

Jan 3, 2022 5:26 PM in response to FelixGarcia

Also getting this issue… mine went off on 29th December - 22:29… can still see camera time stamp on the old snapshot!

Another thing which may be unrelated, HomeKit in general has become slow to update over last few days! What used to be instant is now a good few seconds of all devices saying “updating” before I can use! Thought it was all linked but maybe not…!

HomeKit Camera Snapshots not updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.