Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search bar in Messages doesn't work after transferring to a new phone

I just transferred all my data from an iPhone X (256 gb, 15.2) to an iPhone 13 Pro (512 gb, 15.2) and I haven't been able to use the search bar in Messages properly.

On my old phone, I was able to type in a certain phrase and it could pull up every time the phrase was mentioned between now and 2014 (when I got my phone). However, after the transfer, I was unable to search through any older messages older than a few days.

I did some googling and turned the search settings with Siri on and off, then restarted the phone etc. I was able to get the search function back online, but unfortunately the search index appears to skip all of June 10, 2021, to December 26, 2021. I can search for messages before and after this window, but nothing in between.

Other related issues: I was unable to view chat attachments in the conversation details window, despite the attachments existing if I scrolled back far enough.

What gives?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 11:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2021 11:38 PM

If you have turned on Messages in iCloud, your content is automatically stored in iCloud and is available on all devices that use the same Apple ID.

Maybe all the messages have not populated on your device yet. Give it some time for it to index and then check again. Remain connected to the internet.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2021 11:38 PM in response to Heytherepalheehee

If you have turned on Messages in iCloud, your content is automatically stored in iCloud and is available on all devices that use the same Apple ID.

Maybe all the messages have not populated on your device yet. Give it some time for it to index and then check again. Remain connected to the internet.

Search bar in Messages doesn't work after transferring to a new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.