Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Copy as Path" not showing up in Context Menu when holding down Option Key

Hi,

I haven't found any answers about this during my internet search, so I am asking here.

I am using a 14" M1Pro Macbook Pro on Monterey 12.1 currently, but this issue showed up before the update. When I first got the computer, the option key worked. Now it does not.

The only thing I can think of is that I took the GRE at home, and the online proctor service disabled a bunch of stuff during my test. Annoyingly, they didn't restore things to default, however I went back into my System Preferences and enabled all my shortcuts (I think). I notice that I'm now unable to see the "Copy as Path" option when I right click on a file in Finder. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

Many thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 9:38 AM

Hi sabliminal,

We understand you need assistance with information about files, folders or disks in finder. Check out the following guide that can help, specifically the section "Show the path to a file or folder":

Get file, folder and disk information on Mac

As noted in the guide "Copy a folder’s pathname: Control-click the folder in the path bar, then choose Copy “folder” as Pathname."

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 9:38 AM in response to sabliminal

Hi sabliminal,

We understand you need assistance with information about files, folders or disks in finder. Check out the following guide that can help, specifically the section "Show the path to a file or folder":

Get file, folder and disk information on Mac

As noted in the guide "Copy a folder’s pathname: Control-click the folder in the path bar, then choose Copy “folder” as Pathname."

Hope this helps!

Have a great day.

Dec 30, 2021 12:56 PM in response to sabliminal

Unencumbered by knowing anything about this feature,

I have always:

selected what I wanted,

then Copy,

then Pasted where I wanted the pathname, such as in a Terminal Window,

and it has "just worked".

I gives me the impression that the pathname may be copied to the Clipboard already, and when you say Paste, you will paste the appropriate subset of all that is on the ClipBoard.

"Copy as Path" not showing up in Context Menu when holding down Option Key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.