Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

epub file displayed paging differntly between Book app on OS (correct) vs iOS (wrong)

I did a search for this problem and could not find anything like it. Sorry if it has been discussed and if so, please point me to it.

I'm using Pages to create a book. I have exported it to an EPUB file. I can see it on my mac (OS 11.5.2 and Book v3.2) and on my iPad (iOS 15.2 and Book latest version). But the iOS Book is a bit off kilter in displaying.

And example is when a search is done. The search return shows what I expect on the MAC Book app, but the search return on the iPad shows the title from the previous TOC heading and the correct chunk of text with the searched-for text.

Mac OS Book Search Results

iPad iOS Book search results

Also the TOC is different, the iOS page numbering is off. The chapter for Slaty-tailed Trogon starts on page 114 in the OS and iOS view.

And the TOC on OS correctly shows this:

But the iOS TOC is off by a page.

Has anyone come across this? How can I tweak my Pages file to fix?

Help please!!!

iPad (5th gen) Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 7:36 AM

Update your Mac to macOS 11.6.2. The Apple Books application remains at v3.2, but the operating system update may introduce fixes that resolve your differences in platform EPUB views. If not, then how the Apple Books application was designed for iOS/iPadOS 15.2, and the dimensions of the iPhone/iPad may have a direct bearing in the viewing layout.

In Monterey v12.1, the Apple Books application is v4.2. If you have this operating system view the EPUB on it, and on iOS/iPadOS 15.2 and see if there is an improvement in the EPUB layout between platforms.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 30, 2021 7:36 AM in response to ByteAtATime

Update your Mac to macOS 11.6.2. The Apple Books application remains at v3.2, but the operating system update may introduce fixes that resolve your differences in platform EPUB views. If not, then how the Apple Books application was designed for iOS/iPadOS 15.2, and the dimensions of the iPhone/iPad may have a direct bearing in the viewing layout.

In Monterey v12.1, the Apple Books application is v4.2. If you have this operating system view the EPUB on it, and on iOS/iPadOS 15.2 and see if there is an improvement in the EPUB layout between platforms.

Jan 3, 2022 9:32 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hello VikingOXS,

thanks for the tip and an action I needed to take anyways.

It did solve one problem, the error where Books on iOS showed the wrong page for the searched for text and the in the TOC.

The other issue concerning the header shown with search results, though correct, is not consistent across devices even with the latest iOS/OS. My content has a high level and a sub level heading. Search results show high level heading on the Mac (OS 12.1), iPad Pro 12.9inch 3rd gen (iOS 15.2) and iPad 5th gen (iOS 15.2). But the search results show with the sub heading on the iPhone 6 (iOS 12.5.5) and iPad Pro 9.7 inch (iOS 15.2). Odd. Though unexplained, I can live with this.

High level header

Sub Header

epub file displayed paging differntly between Book app on OS (correct) vs iOS (wrong)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.