Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just received a new Series 7 watch. The charger doesn't fit the USB port on my electrical charger. What do we need to have to use the new USB port??

It won't plug in to a USB port. How do you charge a new series 7 Apple watch??

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 2:31 PM

12 replies

Jan 4, 2022 11:34 AM in response to Georgyboy3

Georgyboy3 wrote:

We should not have to buy an accessory to charge the Watch because apple changed the plug type. Not sell it with a charge any more but leave the plug usbA as it was to use previous series and iPhone chargers

USB-A cannot rapid charge.

Apple has moved to USB-C across the product line.

Apple has a long history of moving forward early, and deprecating early.

Europe and possibly elsewhere are settling on USB-C requirements for device charging, too.

What may happen is no cable included.

Which will mean more “where’s my cable?” grumbling.

What won’t happen is USB-A.

But send your feedback to Apple, as they may or may not see it here.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Jan 5, 2022 12:55 AM in response to MrHoffman

I posted this reply below to someone who happened to have a usb c female to usb a ( original for ALL iPhone and Watch series up to 2020 ) and this works on all 5v usb a

outlets. ALL. with the lead that comes in the box of course.

Yes that is what I found out the hard way. This adapter gets round the 8 3 update which stops anyone using usb A chargers of older series Watch chargers altogether.

The usb c to usb a adapter is not something customers have in the house.

The Apple chat line insist I should buy the dedicated usb c charger. That works to cut means this is the only thing that will charge it.

we should be able to use any 5v usb a jack though such as in the car. In the side of sofa and chairs etc.

they should bring out a fix update (3weeks gone now though)

put a charger with usb A in the box.

or Yes this adapter you happen to have and what borrowed to prove the problem.

Apple chat won’t listen to this.

apple support are still to this day 3 weeks trying to blame it all on my Watch

best of luck with this everybody

Jan 5, 2022 7:03 AM in response to Georgyboy3

Georgyboy3 wrote:

USB A will not work any more because apple software update 8 3 Dec13th stopped previous series Apple Watch chargers working on Apple Watch series 7 watches.
“Apple Watch series 7 will not charge”
gives an idea

Ah, interesting. Seems watchOS 8.3 is incompatible with some third-party gear, though probably not intentionally.

https://mobilesyrup.com/2021/12/23/some-apple-watch-series-7-users-reporting-charging-issues-following-watchos-8-3-update/

I’d guess that somebody involved here (unclear who) got some details of USB-C PD wrong.

Jan 5, 2022 8:23 AM in response to Georgyboy3

I have used an Apple USB-A cable/puck and a 3rd party (Mophie) 3-1 set and both are working under 8.3. I have a friend with a different Mophie and one with a Belkin. They have 8.3 and they are working. All of them are mFi certified. The ones that aren’t working are the ones with stolen codes that could not be updated with 8.3. I doubt that will be “fixed”.

I just received a new Series 7 watch. The charger doesn't fit the USB port on my electrical charger. What do we need to have to use the new USB port??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.