Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recover (sync back) Photos from iPhone organised by Finder to a new Mac

My iPhone holds an inventory organised by the Mac Finder of all my photos. The Mac is broken, making the iPhone the only source of all my fotos. How can I extract the foto data and include on a new Mac Photos Software?

I tried iCloud, Digital images and the Finder itself, but did not arrive at the option to direct data "TO" the Mac for recovery instead of "from" which is the base functionality.

Many thanks.

iPhone XS, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 9:59 AM

You can use Image Capture to select one, a number or all of the photos/videos on your iPhone to save to a folder on your hard drive. However, I would not try to do all at once. Rather do them is batches of maybe 1000 at a time. And do not select the option to delete from your iPhone after the download is done as there are too many cases of bad downloads and erased photos on the iPhone which can't be recovered. Once you've downloaded all of the files successfully you can use Image Capture to erase all of the photos or a subset at one time.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2021 9:59 AM in response to joachim160

You can use Image Capture to select one, a number or all of the photos/videos on your iPhone to save to a folder on your hard drive. However, I would not try to do all at once. Rather do them is batches of maybe 1000 at a time. And do not select the option to delete from your iPhone after the download is done as there are too many cases of bad downloads and erased photos on the iPhone which can't be recovered. Once you've downloaded all of the files successfully you can use Image Capture to erase all of the photos or a subset at one time.

Dec 30, 2021 9:39 AM in response to joachim160

The syncing of photos from a Mac with the Finde tis one-way. and the synced photos are stored separately from the photos you save to the iPhone from the Camera or other apps.

To be able to download them from the iPhone to the the Mac you have to save the synced photos to the iPhones camera roll by duplicating the synced photos. That will save a copy to Photos, that can be reimported to the Mac.

Dec 30, 2021 11:13 PM in response to léonie

Thx Leonie, in this case it's 50k+ photos, so manually copying is probably not an option. Apple does have tools in place to recover such data and I was interested if they could do it in a store or tools like iTools can do the job. Background here is that due to a broken Mac and a failed Time Machine backup this is the only master data I have.

Recover (sync back) Photos from iPhone organised by Finder to a new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.