Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple claiming LCD damage

Apple is claiming an iPad my friend sent in has LCD damage and wants $300 to repair it. It only had a battery issue when we sent it in. They didn’t want to do mail order but the Apple store turned them away and cancelled their Genius appointment without telling them, saying mail order was the only option. They’re now at “Apple are criminals trying to scam me” levels of frustration. Is there anything they can do? They didn’t take photos of it because it didn’t occur to them that the box provided would be adequate to ship it. They wanted to use their own box and Apple told them to use the box provided.

iPad Air 3 Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 8:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 2:47 PM

Thank you! We had a phone call with Apple support this morning and everything was resolved wonderfully. Resolving it via the phone instead of going through the support ticket was surprisingly effective and everyone was very nice.

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 30, 2021 10:09 PM in response to ChristyS

It is always possible that either of the following could have happened:

1. The iPad was damaged during shipment to Apple.
  2. The iPad had some form of damage to the screen that was not readily apparent to the eye. This is what the Apple technician may have discovered when disassembling the device to replace the battery. At this point, in my experience, I would have been informed and offered either to make the suggested repairs or have the device returned. The only reason, I think, that Apple will not just replace the battery is that what they found would render the iPad either nonfunctional or soon to be so.

Regardless, I would suggest that the next step is to "reopen" the original support ticket with Apple Support and elevate this up as necessary (including Apple management) to get this resolved. FWIW, I have sent a number of Apple devices, via the shipping method with their supplied containers over the years, and never had this problem. I don't mean to say it can't happen, it's just that I've never experienced it.

Dec 30, 2021 9:47 PM in response to muguy

Do you think they could at least get the battery fixed/replaced without the fix to the screen issue that apparently must have happened in transit?

I was on the phone call with Apple Support to set it up and we sent it in exactly according to their instructions since they told us that was the only way to have it repaired. Should I take my devices to other repair places and avoid Apple in the future? I only suggested this in the first place because it seemed easy and reliable, my friend wanted to fix it on their own.

Apple claiming LCD damage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.