You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WhatsApp storage use on iPhone

I deleted all media from WhatsApp but the storage used as reported by the phone has not been reduced.

iPhone reports ~39GB, WhatsApp reports 1.9GB after cleanup.

How to free up storage previously used by WhatsApp?

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 8:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 4:32 PM

Thanks for your reply. I tried all of the above and ended up removing the app after I had created a backup. After that, the storage cleared, and I reinstalled the app from the existing backup. As a result, Whatsapp now only takes about 2GB of space.

2 replies

Jan 1, 2022 1:52 PM in response to Maudasilva

Hello Maudasilva,

Thanks for taking the time to post your question to Apple Support Communities. We understand that you've removed data from WhatsApp on your iPhone, but your device is not reflecting these changes and freeing up space for you.

To confirm, did you use the steps under "Use your device to check its storage" and delete documents and data for the app here: How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch or did you manually delete content from the app?

Since making these changes, have you tried restarting the iPhone? While it may seem like a simple step, it can help if you're device is not reflecting changes that you've made: Restart your iPhone

Removing and reinstalling the app can also help with these changes being reflected. We've included links below with steps to walk you through that.

Delete apps on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch 

Redownload apps and games from Apple

Removing the app would delete the remaining content you have saved in the app. See how to back up here: WhatsApp Help Center - How to back up to iCloud

Let us know if this helps.

Cheers!

WhatsApp storage use on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.