Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble with Time Machine backup of my MacBook Pro (2018, 2.3 GHz Intel i5) and external drive in Big Sur 11.6.2.

I recently updated my MacBook Pro (2018, 2.3 GHz Intel i5) to Big Sur 11.6.2, and since doing so have had a few problems running Time Machine backups to my external NAS drive. Previous to this, I had been backing up both the Mac and an external music drive successfully via Time Machine. Now, the backups get hung at 100+ GB of roughly 800 GB. The external drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but the NAS drive is APFS (Case-sensitive). Does that matter?

A backup up was underway, and I seemed to be able to see the external Media drive in Time Machine backups, but then the backup stopped and now tells me the latest backup was December 29 at 7:35, which is a day and a half ago (though backups have been trying to complete every day since then).

A day or so ago, I found that my computer was not recognizing the external drive. After reading some advice, I used disk utility to run disk first aid on the external drive. That seems to have worked, so now I looked to run a backup, but keep finding the process gets hung.

Advice?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 9:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 9:08 AM

tccroc wrote:

I recently updated my MacBook Pro (2018, 2.3 GHz Intel i5) to Big Sur 11.6.2, and since doing so have had a few problems running Time Machine backups to my external NAS drive. Previous to this, I had been backing up both the Mac and an external music drive successfully via Time Machine. Now, the backups get hung at 100+ GB of roughly 800 GB. The external drive is Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but the NAS drive is APFS (Case-sensitive). Does that matter?

A backup up was underway, and I seemed to be able to see the external Media drive in Time Machine backups, but then the backup stopped and now tells me the latest backup was December 29 at 7:35, which is a day and a half ago (though backups have been trying to complete every day since then).

A day or so ago, I found that my computer was not recognizing the external drive. After reading some advice, I used disk utility to run disk first aid on the external drive. That seems to have worked, so now I looked to run a backup, but keep finding the process gets hung.

Advice?

Trouble Shooting Time Machine

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/time-machine-troubleshooting-mh15653/mac

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2021 9:08 AM in response to tccroc

tccroc wrote:

Advice?

Trouble Shooting Time Machine

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/time-machine-troubleshooting-mh15653/mac

Dec 31, 2021 9:10 AM in response to tccroc

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

I would not recommend using a NAS for Time Machine due to the unreliable nature of them. Rather, use an external hard drive. Here’s a few excellent ones sold by Apple: 

You can then follow the steps in this Apple Support article to setup your Time Machine backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support. Also, moving forward, I recommend that you use iCloud in addition to Time Machine to sync all your files and photos to all your Apple devices. Although iCloud is not a "true" backup service, iCloud can also act as an emergency off-site backup, but this is why iCloud should be used in addition to Time Machine. Here are some resources on setting up iCloud for Mac:

Jack

Dec 31, 2021 1:12 PM in response to Jack-19

Okay, let me think about some of those considerable changes to my configuration that you recommend. In the meantime, what would explain why, when I look at the Time Machine "options" dialogue, the external drive portion that I had previously excluded from backup is grayed out and can not be removed from the list of excluded drives nor can the same drive be readded? It seems like there's something wrong with that part of the regular external drive I have connected. (I was able to add or delete the other half of the external drive in the options dialogue.)

I guess that before I make a significant change in my backup setup I want to make sure I understand what's changed that's causing some of these different symptoms.

Trouble with Time Machine backup of my MacBook Pro (2018, 2.3 GHz Intel i5) and external drive in Big Sur 11.6.2.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.