Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3 Airplay problem "Activation Failed" answered

Hi. I had this problem Apple TV 3 (A1427) Airplay no longer working. If you go to Settings>General>About>At the very bottom of the screen and you see the following "Activation Failed" then I may have the solution. It worked for me. I flashed the software via a Mac or iTunes and this didn't work. Reset settings, restored and tried different combinations of sequences and I still had the Apple TV 3 "Activation Failed" error message. I download Apple Configurator 2 for the Mac and set a new profile and after the second attempt I restored Airplay and had a working ATV3. Note: this only works via the Apple Mac. You may require a third-party app if you are on Windows or my need to emulate a Mac. I hope this works, as these are good devices. Oh, by the way, I also reset my ATV3 (A1427) back to the previous legacy build 8.4.2.1, as the latest build lost the Airplay functionality. I do not intend to upgrade further unless I have spare time as I don't want to have to rebuild it again! Let me know if this worked for you?

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 8:58 PM

3 replies

Jan 5, 2022 1:52 AM in response to sharkyward1965

Same problem here. Apple TV 3 airplay not working.

Downloaded Apple Configurator 2 on my Mac. Connected ATV3 with USB to my Mac first (important). The powered the ATV3 on. This makes the ATV3 go into dfu mode (makes it able to reflash the tvOS).

Reflash tvOS (i.e. ‘restore’ the Apple TV) with Apple Configurator 2. This erases everything on the ATV3 and reinstalls the latest supported tvOS.

After the full restore (follow the instructions to the letter, don’t take any shortcuts…), Airplay works again.

Apple TV 3 Airplay problem "Activation Failed" answered

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.