Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missing photos in Photos

I have a lot of separate photo libraries which I manage using PowerPhotos. When Photos appeared,

I migrated the libraries one by one over to Photos. Recently I opened an old photo library in Photos, and here and there there are some photos `missing' - they are blacked out. In some cases I can click on the blacked-out space where the photo should be, and I get a white image (instead of a photo) with the possibility of editing the photo, just as if the photo were there. When I click on Edit the original photo magically appears, then I can do some minor editing thing and click Done, and voilà, the photo is restored to the library. In other cases when I click on the black space I just get an error msg saying

`Cannot Start Editing Photos cannot load adjustments for this image.'

I suspect that this missing photo problem may have something to do with the photo having been edited previously in iPhoto, and now for some reason Photos can't find it (??). I still have the original unmigrated library, but can't open it, as I no longer have iPhoto on my computer (not sure that would work anyway). I really think, though, that the missing photos are somewhere in memory. Does anyone know how to recover them?

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 11:52 AM

Hi

Try doing a revert to original on some of these images. Does that bring them back to life?

(I'm guessing you are right that these have been edited in iPhoto. Likely the Photos app doesn't know how to apply these edits. Revert to original should remove the edits)

Similar questions

3 replies

missing photos in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.