Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos library not yet available - cannot sync photos to iPhone from computer.

Until June 2021, I had no issues with my photos storage process. I store my library (yes, it is designated as system library) on an external hard drive (formatted Mac OS Extended Journaled) and when I connect my phone, I import photos through the photos app into that library - no issues there. I like to keep 2 months of recents on my phone, and when I sync through finder, I get the following notification:

Photos library is not yet available - please try again later.

I have redesignated my photos library as the system library (switched and switched back), tried all the updates for mac and iphone and have not found a solution since June 2021.

Does anyone have a solution for this? Is there a simple setting I need to change or anything? TIA

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 8:58 AM

Hi

Are you able to select the "ignore ownership" checkbox for your external drive? (See bottom of screenshot). Is the external hard drive always powered and connected before you log on to your mac?

Are you able to import an image that is already on your computer via file>import?

If so, then try restarting your mac in safe mode and then trying.

Then restart normally, and try again.

Safe mode will clear temporary files and caches, and sometimes fixes odd glitches such as this.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 2, 2022 8:58 AM in response to nbbybike

Hi

Are you able to select the "ignore ownership" checkbox for your external drive? (See bottom of screenshot). Is the external hard drive always powered and connected before you log on to your mac?

Are you able to import an image that is already on your computer via file>import?

If so, then try restarting your mac in safe mode and then trying.

Then restart normally, and try again.

Safe mode will clear temporary files and caches, and sometimes fixes odd glitches such as this.

Photos library not yet available - cannot sync photos to iPhone from computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.