You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Database Options on M1 Macbook Pro

Hello,

I'm new to MAC OS and thinking of getting a Macbook Pro M1. I come from Windows environment. For Xamarin.Forms and .Net 6 app development, I was using MS SQL Server. I see one can install SQL Server via Docker. I'm wondering what free database servers and IDE such as SSMS are available on M1.

Joe

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 1:48 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 2:11 PM

Respectfully, is there a reason you are considering migrating from Microsoft Windows?

You seem familiar, and the Windows platform and Azure and the rest seemingly works well for your needs.

While there are certainly options and alternatives available on macOS, you’re also necessarily going to be learning a different approach and different tooling, and that can be frustrating.

Unix and bash and zsh will be very different from PowerShell scripting, Apple pushes Swift (and not the various .NET languages), and the rest of the development tooling (Xcode, versus VS or VS Code) is also very different.

Yes, .NET and related are available on macOS, but mostly around apps needing or wanting Microsoft compatibility.

As for databases available on macOS, Claris Filemaker Pro, PostgreSQL, SQLite, MariaDB/MySQL, LibreOffice Base, etc…

For higher-level app development stuff, Ninox or Knack or FileMaker can be interesting.

Might want to determine your requirements, and work from there. Most folks usually start out with apps and app requirements, and work from there to dependencies and options, and then the operating system platform.

With Xamarin.Forms, SQLite seems to be an option: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/data-cloud/data/databases

If macOS and iOS and iPadOS work out for you, great. The Apple platforms and the tools are excellent. Apple silicon is seriously fast, too. The UIs consistent. But this is all going to be very different from Windows and Azure app development. (I’ve done this migration, too.)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 2, 2022 2:11 PM in response to JoeGree

Respectfully, is there a reason you are considering migrating from Microsoft Windows?

You seem familiar, and the Windows platform and Azure and the rest seemingly works well for your needs.

While there are certainly options and alternatives available on macOS, you’re also necessarily going to be learning a different approach and different tooling, and that can be frustrating.

Unix and bash and zsh will be very different from PowerShell scripting, Apple pushes Swift (and not the various .NET languages), and the rest of the development tooling (Xcode, versus VS or VS Code) is also very different.

Yes, .NET and related are available on macOS, but mostly around apps needing or wanting Microsoft compatibility.

As for databases available on macOS, Claris Filemaker Pro, PostgreSQL, SQLite, MariaDB/MySQL, LibreOffice Base, etc…

For higher-level app development stuff, Ninox or Knack or FileMaker can be interesting.

Might want to determine your requirements, and work from there. Most folks usually start out with apps and app requirements, and work from there to dependencies and options, and then the operating system platform.

With Xamarin.Forms, SQLite seems to be an option: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/xamarin/xamarin-forms/data-cloud/data/databases

If macOS and iOS and iPadOS work out for you, great. The Apple platforms and the tools are excellent. Apple silicon is seriously fast, too. The UIs consistent. But this is all going to be very different from Windows and Azure app development. (I’ve done this migration, too.)

Database Options on M1 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.