Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to _completely_ reset Mac Mail to pristine settings

I've been battling Mac Mail now for quite a while, first with Big Sur, and now after the Monterrey upgrade, as well as another fresh wipe and reinstall of Monterrey. Strangely, the problems persist. It is pretty severe, as in the client will not send or receive mail, ever. Oddly, I can add an IMAP/SMTP account and it will act like it usually does and seem fine. But I simply cannot get anything through. I am my own email provider and have three other user agents which all work perfectly. I followed the steps in another post about "resetting Mac Mail" but it didn't work for me.

Is there some way to _completely_ revert Mail to it's virgin state, whether that means blowing away any iCloud bits or what not, I really down't know. I just wish it would work!

Regards,

Steve

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2022 11:23 AM

You could delete all of its configuration and storage locations. It should recreate them.

In Internet Accounts, remove all email accounts (in iCloud, you disable Mail). Then, delete these

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail-shared.plist

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail (this will likely just show as Mail, along with several others--I would remove all of them).

~/Library/Mail/

I have deleted some of those (including the containers) and it rebuilt them. I have never deleted all of them.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2022 11:23 AM in response to Sirdotcom

You could delete all of its configuration and storage locations. It should recreate them.

In Internet Accounts, remove all email accounts (in iCloud, you disable Mail). Then, delete these

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail-shared.plist

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail (this will likely just show as Mail, along with several others--I would remove all of them).

~/Library/Mail/

I have deleted some of those (including the containers) and it rebuilt them. I have never deleted all of them.

How to _completely_ reset Mac Mail to pristine settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.